[DeTomaso] Powdercoating Campi rims

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 23 15:57:20 EDT 2015

The stevekouracos wheel restoration link suggests using Alodine to coat magnesium wheels. Alodine is a process for aluminum - it is NOT recommended for magnesium and does not satisfy MIL-spec requirements for the treatment or protection of magnesium parts.http://stevekouracos.com/restoration/tips-and-tricks/aluminum-magnesium-wheel-restoration/
Magnesium wheels need to be annealed to relieve the stresses they store up.  Cooking them in the powder coat oven is actually beneficial.  The only detriment is if they have not already been annealed before powder coating, the out-gassing of the magnesium may cause bubbles/craters in the powder coat finish.

I restored my wheels once following a process similar to Steve Kouracos, however I used the correct zinc chromate primer from Aircraft Spruce.  However, I was dissatisfied with the durability of the finish - might be fine for a seldom driven Dino that only sees an occasional car show, but I DRIVE my car!
Here's how to anneal your Campy wheels:http://www.poca.com/detomaso/2000-06/1205.html
Anyway, as I mentioned I was dissatisfied with the durability of the Eastwood Argent Silver paint on my wheels, so I decided to powder coat them.  You can see pictures here if you're logged in.
http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1510042044/m/4081069456?r=4081069456#4081069456

Powder coat is much more durable than traditional paints and seals the wheel against moisture.
Cheers!Garth#4033