[DeTomaso] Corvette C4 seats in a Pantera

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Wed Sep 23 15:43:07 EDT 2015

Thanks everyone!  Time and time again this forum takes me and my car
where we need to go.
 Sent using Hushmail
On September 23, 2015 at 12:28 AM, jderyke at aol.com wrote:Remove the
bulge.  Its been done successfully.for years. First, the alternator
can be moved back one full inch using the same bracket you already
own, Only tool needed is a hacksaw, as follows: cut 1" from the
roundish REAR part of the alt case where the mouning bolt goes
through. Move the cut piece to the FRONT of the cut alternator as a
spacer. This shifts the alt back closer to the cylinder head. Drive
the alt in this position by a new short belt that runs off the inner
(unused) sheave of the AC compressor. The stock alt belt-adjuster fits
using the stock bolt, threaded in to the BACK of the alt adjuster lug.
 Once the alt has been shifted backwards, the main section of the
firewall bulge- that part behind the passenger seat- can be cut away,
rewelded and the upholstery bulge (which is separate from the rest of
the firewall upholster) similarly altered. Once all thats done, the
passenger seatback will touch the firewall and even tall passengers
can stretch their legs out. The small remaining bulge will be in the
middle of the firewall door around the water pump. If you need even
more bulge-removal, the whole engine/ZF package can be shifted
backwards by about 11/16" more, with extra work but still no expensive
parts. Details and photos showing this have been in various articles
over the years in your POCA Newsletter.  Good luck- J DeRyke