[DeTomaso] Powdercoating Campi rims

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 23 15:28:46 EDT 2015

In a message dated 9/23/15 11 49 14, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> I have heard that real magnesium wheels ( like ours ) do not fair well in
> powder coating oven,
> something about the heat after all these years making them even more
> brittle,
>
>>>You're confusing several conflicting ideas.

Our wheels often don't do well in powdercoating because they have tiny
cavities filled with gas, and when the wheel is first painted and then heated,
the gas expands and creates bubbles in the paint.

Some people claim that magnesium wheels become brittle with age (although I
have never, EVER heard of a Pantera wheel failing due to that, so I chalk
it up to urban legend).   However, years ago Jack and I wrote an article
about the care and feeding of such things, and Jack asserted that they can be
returned to like-new condition by annealing them.   This involves heating them
up in an oven (like a powdercoating oven) and then allowing them to cool
slowly.

So if you want to powdercoat wheels, first you strip them, then put them in
a powdercoating oven at the end of the day; this heats them up to full temp
and then they cool down overnight.   Then they can be powderpainted in the
morning, and put back in the oven in the normal fashion to bond the
powderpaint to the wheel.

Garth Rodericks has done a magnificent job of powdercoating his own wheels
using a kit (from Eastwood I think?) and an old kitchen oven.

> >I would simply clean them , maybe strip them, spray them with Argent
> Silver
> and then a clear coat.
>
>>>That's generally what I advocate too, except you can't just strip them
and paint them silver.   The unique characteristics of magnesium require much
additional care.

Ford issued a bulletin to the dealers advising them that the standard Ford
Argent Silver was a suitable color, but I don't really believe that's
true--I think the Ford color is too bright.

The code is PPG3822C, which corresponds to Ditzler DX8555.

Campagnolo made the OEM wheels for all the Italian marques (Ferrari,
Lamborghini, Abarth, Maserati etc.) and I think they only had a handful of stock
colors (silver, gold mostly).

The original magnesium wheels were first painted with a zinc chromate green
primer/sealer, then painted silver atop that.   If they strip the wheels to
metal and just paint them without the zinc primer, corrosion could well set
in and the paint might fail.

If you really wanted to go crazy, after the wheels were stripped to metal,
you would need to ship them off to have them Dow 17 anodized (Google it),
then painted with zinc chromate primer, then silver.

You can spend days reading about this stuff on Ferrari forums.   Those guys
go crazy trying to replicate the original paint hue and finish, and often
fail and have to do them again and again to get it right.

The stock primer is pretty tough stuff.   If you are going to have them
strip the paint off, perhaps they can do so in a manner that leaves the green
coating underneath?   But failing that, I would definitely urge that you seal
the wheels properly with zinc chromate (again, this is based on both the
factory's original technique, and what I've read on these various Ferrari
forums, learning from the mistakes of others....)