[DeTomaso] Powdercoating Campi rims

Michael Shortt michaelsavga at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 15:19:53 EDT 2015

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/magnesium.html

--

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
michael at michaelshortt.com
912-232-9390

   [1]http://www.finishing.com/faqs/magnesium.html

   [3]http://stevekouracos.com/restoration/tips-and-tricks/aluminum-magnes

   <[4]detomasoregistry at gmail.com> wrote:

     Rob,
     I have heard that real magnesium wheels ( like ours ) do not fair
     well in a
     powder coating oven,
     something about the heat after all these years making them even more
     brittle,
     I would simply clean them , maybe strip them, spray them with Argent
     Silver
     and then a clear coat.
     Michael Shortt
     I disagree with Michael.
     Not only do they "fair well", in an (appropriately set) oven, but a
     long (over-night) cool down helps
     take "stress" (?) out of the molecular structure (?).A  Or so people
     have been saying for decades of magnesium work (like aircraft).
     I believe that a special magnesium primer is called for (Zinc
     Chromate ???), then your color of choice...Argent Silver.
     Not sure about my 15X10 Campies (1984 vintage ?), but I believe the
     powder-coating needs no additional (clear coat) sealer, the
     result is already the correct semi-gloss/shine.
     Chuck

   use the links above.

   --
   Michael L. Shortt
   Savannah, Georgia
   [8]michael at michaelshortt.com
   [9]912-232-9390
   privileged.A  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
   notified
   communication is strictly prohibited.A  Please reply to the sender that
   you
   have received this message in error, then delete it.A  Thank you

   --
   Michael L. Shortt
   Savannah, Georgia