[DeTomaso] Powdercoating Campi rims

The DeTomaso Registry Guy detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 15:09:21 EDT 2015

Rob,

I have heard that real magnesium wheels ( like ours ) do not fair well in a
powder coating oven,
something about the heat after all these years making them even more
brittle,
I would simply clean them , maybe strip them, spray them with Argent Silver
and then a clear coat.

Michael Shortt

I disagree with Michael.

Not only do they "fair well", in an (appropriately set) oven, but a long (over-night) cool down helps
take "stress" (?) out of the molecular structure (?).  Or so people have been saying for decades of magnesium work (like aircraft).

I believe that a special magnesium primer is called for (Zinc Chromate ???), then your color of choice...Argent Silver.

Not sure about my 15X10 Campies (1984 vintage ?), but I believe the powder-coating needs no additional (clear coat) sealer, the
result is already the correct semi-gloss/shine.

Chuck