[DeTomaso] headlight buckets sizes

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Wed Sep 23 14:35:41 EDT 2015

I recently stripped #1488 and found some surprises. I do not know if this
applies to you, but here is what I found and what I assume it meant. For
one, the driver fender had been cut out and replaced from the mid-axle line
forward.  My bucket on that side was not stamped with my VIN, so it was not
original.  The bucket, however, is exactly the same dimensions as my
original one (I don't have it handy to measure).

What is different is the replacement fender itself and its bucket opening.
My original fender has a notable flat area about 1/4 inch between the
headlight bucket opening and where the edge goes vertical for the hood
drain channel. There is a similar symmetrical line on the outside edge as
well.

The replacement fender flat area is almost non-existent and the headlight
bucket opening is bigger because of it. I assumed the driver side
replacement fender was a later model fender and possibly the replacement
headlight bucket was an early model, but that is just a guess.  I had heard
the buckets were stamped with the VIN because they were custom fit.

I had two choices:

Make the driver side bucket wider, or
Fill the fender about 1/8 inch each side.

I chose to fill the hole in and shape the replacement fender headlight
opening to match my early model opening.

Rob

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Larry Finch via DeTomaso <detomaso at poca.com