[DeTomaso] Alternate possibilities to the Pantera

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:47:39 EDT 2015

Interesting.....the Mangusta looks as stunning now as it ever did, but
this Boomerang, no doubt bold and futuristic when it came out, now
looks clunky, awkward and dated, sci-fi....like a Star Trek shuttle
craft or some such. Funny how the passage of time renders car design
either classic, ho-hum, or in some cases even downright comical.  The
Pantera has unquestionably held up over time and might I say it's
place in automotive history as one of the great classic sports cars is
now etched in stone?  This Maserati, definitely DeLorean-looking, also
looks kinda like a Countach--  which is another bold, hard-angular,
futuristic design but somehow doesn't look at all as awkward and dated
to my eyes. What do you guys think?  The Lambo Countach--   which blew
us all away back in the 70's.....is it still looking good?
 Sent using Hushmail
On September 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM, "Jeff Detrich"  wrote:Fugly, thank
goodness ours was designed by Tom.

Jeff

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 11:51 AM, The DeTomaso Registry Guy <
detomasoregistry at gmail.com> wrote:

>    I have been researching the period around when the Pantera was
new,

>    including the challenge to produce the first mid-engined
large-volume
>    production sports car,
>
>    with Ford racing to beat Chevy with their mid-engine Corvette,
and AMC
>    with their AMX/3, to market.
>

>    As a side note I received fresh photos of a car that some may not
know
>    about - the Boomerang.
>

>    You know Giorgetto Giugiaro designed the Mangusta.
>
>    You know Tom Tjaarda designed the Pantera body to go over the
Paolo
>    Dallara chassis.
>

>    Now what if Giorgetto Giugiaro was turned loose to design the
Pantera?

>    What did he envision the future might look like?
>

>    We are not talking about a prototype body but this is a running,
>    registered, driving car.
>

>    On the Registry "cover" page (Member Main) is a link to the
Giorgetto