[DeTomaso] pre L Pantera aluminum gas tank

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Fri Sep 18 08:51:01 EDT 2015

Dear Robert,

                Ah, fitment issues with a pre L push button and parts
meant for later L model Panteras.

               I happen to know that a friend and his son discovered
that a real problem does exist.  IIRC, they had a leaky late model gas
tank and a non functioning pre L with an aluminum gas tank.  The plan
was to put the pre L tank in the L Pantera.  The tanks are not the same
and it was not a simple "bolt in" swap.   I suspect that if the exercise
was done in reverse, i.e. late model L tank installed in an early pre L
Pantera, then there would be a PITA fitment issue.

                IMHO, I would pull the tank, remove the fiberglass and
have it cleaned and repaired and bolted back in.   I just did this with
my late '74 Pantera.  The removal was duck soup *after* removal of the
drive train.   IIRC, a new tank was at or north of $1000.   Repairs were
$450.....and aluminum is easier to weld, work with and repair than
steel.

                             Warmest regards, Chuck Engles