[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 135, Issue 16

The DeTomaso Registry Guy detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 21:34:11 EDT 2015

Hello,

I got early 71 car and my fuel tank looks as it is wrapped in fiberglass and
painted black.
I tried with the magnet and actual tank is non-magnetic; is it aluminum?

>>>Yes it is aluminum, wrapped in fiberglass.  (Wrapping it in 'glass was part of the initial
re-work / recall in the USA).

Problem is that it must have a tiny leak as I see one corner on the bottom
always being wet, but it is not enough to actually make the fuel drip.
Are there any suggestions on best way to deal with this problem?
I understand one needs to take the motor out to get to the tank?

>>>Correct.

Is there a good way to repair/reseal my tank or is the best option to
replace it with new one?

>>>One can try to fix the aluminum... (not likely) or patch with a gas-safe sealer (inside or out).
If you have one pin-hole leak, you may be close to getting more leaks.

What is best option/where to buy a replacement tank that would fit in stock
location.

>>>I kind of like the idea of replacing it with a Fuel Cell in the same shape as stock (website has pics), one step down from that
would be a new steel tank from a vendor, and below that a used tank.

Thanks, Robert