[DeTomaso] Something is so wrong with this

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 03:31:17 EDT 2015

Chuck - it's something that is so hard to believe that I'd chalk it up to
Urban Legend if it hadn't come from a somewhat reliable source.

Besides introducing a degree of complexity and cost that is quite
unnecessary, the whole idea is completely backward and illogical. To know
what your theoretical temp is is irrelevant if the car is engineered
properly. If everything goes according to plan, then your temps are under
control and everyone is happy. The whole idea of measuring the actual
result is to see if the Actual matches the Theoretical, or is something has
gone wrong somewhere. The theoretical coolant temp in the Pantera, for
example, on the highway is 192F if that's the thermostat temp. I know,
depends on a lot of factors, where it's measured, etc. But in a steady
state it should be roughly that.

If something unexpected happens - a thermostat getting stuck, a leak in
your cooling system, something that the computer model won't take into
account, you'd have no way of knowing. Your theoretical hasn't changed, but
your coolant system is empty, you are about to blow a gasket and you have
no idea.

This has to be the dumbest idea in the entire history of car
manufacturing...