[DeTomaso] Where Panteras were made

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Mon Sep 14 13:31:02 EDT 2015

Richard,

Too bad you did not think to take a picture of it and the VIN plate.

Rob DuMoulin
904.476.8744
rob at dumoulins.net
www.kbsi.co
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Richard Greenblum <
Richard at richardgreenblum.com> wrote:

>    I've read many dates and places for production over the years.  I was
>    at the factory in Modena in February or March of 1995 and a yellow car
>    was being finished with an EFI 302 for a Swedish customer.  Casarini
>    told me it was the last Pantera that was going to be produced and its
>    sale price was approximately $195K US.  I've never forgotten the wheels
>    it had for mobility during assembly.  They were red steel spoke wheels
>    resembling farm tractor steel wheels.
>    Richard
>    Austin, TX
>
>    From: DeTomaso <[1]detomaso-bounces at poca.com> on behalf of deTomaso
>    List <[2]detomaso at poca.com>
>    Date: Friday, September 11, 2015 at 7:49 PM
>    To: The DeTomaso Registry Guy <[4]detomasoregistry at gmail.com>
>    Cc: deTomaso List <[5]detomaso at poca.com>
>    Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Where Panteras were made
>
>    Chuck,
>    I have since learned (from the Ford man who was the head of Ghia
>    operations at the time) that when Ford took over the whole operation in
>    1972, they brought all manufacturing in-house. The cars were then
>    started and finished at Vignale in Turin and never went to Modena. Only
>    the non-US cars (euro and elsewhere) were dispatched to Modena for
>    completion and distribution.
>    Mike
>    Sent from my iPhone
>    On Sep 11, 2015, at 13:44, The DeTomaso Registry Guy
>    <[6]detomasoregistry at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>       Weren't they all made in the same place?
>
>       I was referring to being made `close in time' or even physical
>
>       proximity on the assembly line...  The BSN of 4613 would tell me
>    more.
>
>       I presume that Julian is being facetious, but I do not want his
>
>       (British?) humor (?) to confuse people.
>
>       No, all Panteras were NOT made in the same place.  The earliest
>
>       Panteras were made at Ghia, by then owned by De Tomaso too.
>
>       Ford got (more) involved, De Tomaso bought Vignale, and they set up
>
>       production of the bodies at Vignale
>
>       (which is about 300 Km from the DeTomaso plant in the former
>    Maserati
>
>       buildings in Modena.) Vignale is where they were "started".
>
>       Then they were trucked (on dollies) to De Tomaso, where they were
>
>       completed.
>
>       Bodies starting around 9000 were then made by another constructor,
>
>       until around 9100 or 9200, where it moved to
>
>       Embo.  Again, final assembly was at De Tomaso.
>
>       Julian, if you want to confuse people let us discuss the "year"
>    (made)
>
>       of a car!
>
>       Chuck

>    [7]DeTomaso at poca.com

>    To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.)
>    use the links above.

>    use the links above.
>
> References
>
>    1. mailto:detomaso-bounces at poca.com
>    2. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
>    3. mailto:MikeLDrew at aol.com
>    4. mailto:detomasoregistry at gmail.com
> [...]
   Richard,
   Too bad you did not think to take a picture of it and the VIN plate.A

   Rob DuMoulin
   904.476.8744
   [1]rob at dumoulins.net
   [2]www.kbsi.co
   [3]http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58
   On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Richard Greenblum