[DeTomaso] thick metal spray on Fontana block?? Help?

Ed Mendez edducati at mac.com
Fri Sep 11 16:54:51 EDT 2015

Anyone have any idea how to get this metal spray coating off my Fontana block? It is some sort of metal spray coating to fool people into thinking it is an iron block when in fact it is an aluminum block. The coating is magnetic.

The machinist in Downey, CA, says after hot tanking this is what it now looks like, the power coater won’t touch it due to liability, a sand blaster won’t touch it for the same reasons. I was thinking walnut media blasting?

How do I get this crap off? Grinding? but that will screw up the finish…

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

Ps. If you don’t get a picture I will send to you directly, something up with Mac mail and our mailman server.