[DeTomaso] Rear Glass

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 15:59:42 EDT 2015

FWIW, Larry Stock of PPC-Reno sells an exact Lexan repro. Ron Wade in WA made a few double-pane rear windows for extra sound deadening; I have one.  Normally the rear window never gives trouble except during an engine pull when the distributor cap is left in place & contacts the window during the pull.  One owner found that Weber velocity stacks also can break the glass during engine removals. The window is sort of part of the rear firewall, but in engine fires, the glass invariably shatters early, so using Lexan likely does not degrade the "safety" aspect much. Most 'GR-4s' use plexiglas windows so the rear legs of the factory roll cage can extend though to the rear fenders. One year at Bonneville, a Swedish Pantera showed up to run like this, and the SCTA Tech Inspectors made them remove the Lexan window and substitute a thin galvanized steel sheet!