[DeTomaso] Photo of stock luggage area

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 9 23:39:15 EDT 2015

In a message dated 9/9/15 20 01 22, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> Does anybody have a photo of a stock front boot and rear luggage area.
> 1660 has the rear insert without a spare tire area and,I recently acquired
> one with the spare inset.
> I have an orginal spare, there is no way it would fit in that recess.
> Lastly, where were the tool kit and air cannister stored, upfront or in
> the
> back?
>

>>>Michael,

You'd be surprised.   The spare tire is a perfect fit in the right rear
corner of the trunk.   It doesn't fit inside the depression, but rather on top
of it.   Just drop the trunk into your own car, then rest the spare in
position and you'll see how perfect it is.

The depression is designed to hold the inflation canister, plus whatever
else you care to throw in there.   I believe conventionally the tool kit was
carried up front, but there is no specific 'home' for it as there is for the
spare.

The early Euro cars carried the spare up front.   Interestingly, they were
about an inch narrower than the spares fitted to the '72-74 cars, and those
later spares are too tall to fit up front.   I can only assume that the
early US cars, which had no specific provisions for the spare in the rear, were
equipped like the Euro cars?

I presume you have one or more of the 'Brooklands' paperback books on the
Pantera, which compile period magazine articles.   You can see that in the
tests of the very early cars, the spare is in the front, while the later cars
show it in the rear....