[DeTomaso] Windsor or Cleveland question..

richard boschert theemonkey at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 23:39:50 EDT 2015

The only advantages that i can see for a Cleveland over a Windsor in a Pantera is the 3/8 of an inch lower deck height,which helps if you want to use the stock engine screen/covers,and stock Pantera parts availability such as brackets,headers etc.
Other than that i personally feel the Windsor is a better way to go.In fact i put a 408 ci. Windsor in mine a few years back and love it!More power everywhere in the powerband.More room,even with 180 headers!I can go to any parts store and not worry about getting the wrong thermostat etc.

I would not recommend building a Clevor unless you want to have the ultimate ford small block in the extreme high horsepower area.It is just too easy to build reliable,streetable 550-600 hp Windsor headed motors to deal with special pistons,intake and water port modifications.Granted it is not hard to build the Clevor,and the parts are available.I just dont feel its worth it.

The fact that you already have a built Windsor in another car is even more reason to go with the Windsor.Build the same motor for the Pantera and you only need to remember one set of specs when buying parts like spark plugs etc.
Just my 2 cents,Richard