[DeTomaso] Windsor or Cleveland question..

Kirby Schrader kirbyschrader at mac.com
Wed Sep 2 19:32:00 EDT 2015

Weighing in late here, but I’m a recently converted Clevor fan.

I have three of them now.

The street Pantera has an 9.2” deck height SVO iron Windsor style block, Cleveland style main bearings and has 4V cast iron heads and EFI.
It is 393ci and dyno’d at 544HP.

The GT40 has a 9.5” deck height SVO iron Windsor style block with ‘Cleveland style’ Yates aluminum D3 heads and EFI.
It is 427ci and dyno’d at 540HP.

The race Pantera has a 9.2” deck height SVO iron Windsor style block, 302 main bearings and has 4V cast iron heads and Webers.
The heads have exhaust port plates.
It is 353ci. I didn’t dyno it, but Tom Upton’s engine built nearly the same managed just over 700HP.
This thing revs… It’s redlined at 8000, but Tom says it’ll go to 9000, no problem.
Trying to make it last awhile...

I went for years with a 377ci Cleveland that seemed bullet proof at around 420HP or so, but as soon as I tried to make it do 550HP, they started breaking. Tom Upton tried to run Clevelands in his race car for years and even had a professional engine builder help him build them. He still managed to break 6 engines in 2 years.

I like the strength of the SVO blocks.

As for intakes, I am still using a Cleveland style manifold on the street Pantera. I just made an adapter plate to go underneath it so it fits the Windsor block pattern.
All the engines have the heads drilled for coolant exit and they all use a remote thermostat…well, the race car doesn’t use any thermostat.

I like what I’ve got and recommend them.

FWIW,
Kirby