[DeTomaso] Windsor or Cleveland question..

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 2 17:44:48 EDT 2015

In a message dated 9/2/15 8 36 21, cmccann1972 at gmail.com writes:

> 351 Cleveland or Windsor?
>
>>>Ah, the age-old question...
>
> >I need to build a motor for my car anyway. I do not have the original
> engine or any engine for it at this time.
>
>>>That certainly frees up your options.   What about the accessories?   Do
you have the Pantera-specific alternator/AC pump bracket?   Dipstick and
tube? Small-diameter two-sheave crank pulley? Motor mounts?

> >I have had several 351w motors
> over the years. I understand the following criteria to be true. Both
> motors
> displace the same number, approximately, of cubic inches. Both have the
> same bellhousing bolt pattern. Both have the same motor mount locations.
> The Windsor is slightly narrower, leaving theoretically more room for
> headers, fuel tanks, etc on either side. (?) length and height appear
> negligibly different.
>
>>>To me, the Windsor appears to be visibly smaller (almost looking lost)
in the engine bay.

Windsor headers are available for the Pantera, but the dirty secret of
their design is that the pipes extend a significant distance to the side before
they turn down.   On the right side, the rearmost pipe crashes right into
the water bottle!   That means you have to relocate the water bottles as part
of the (many) modifications needed to cram a Windsor into a Pantera.

> >The Windsor is lighter in pounds. According to a few online sources:
>
> http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/EngineDimensions.html
>
> ....the Windsor  appears to be about 25 lbs lighter, depending on source
> and configuration. Not a huge benefit, but certainly not a drawback .
>
>>>It would be interesting to compare the weight of a Windsor with aluminum
heads and intake, with a Cleveland similarly-equipped.   The difference
might not be as great?

> >The
> aftermarket support for Windsor family engines appears significantly
> larger... every 289-302-351w cylinder head is an option. Many different
> manufacturers and models from Trickflow, Brodix, AFR, Ford
> motorsport, Edelbrock etc are to choose from.
>
>>>While true, it's not a significant fact.   At the end of the day, you
only need to buy one pair of heads.   If you only have a dozen to choose from
instead of a hundred, so what?   For sure you will find a pair that works
with your plans and budget, whichever way you go.   Choosing Cleveland heads
is easier simply because there are fewer options, but there are still PLENTY
of options.

> >I know of 600-plus
> streetable horsepower motors in both. I have a Windsor with similar
> performance numbers in my Cobra Replica. It was not hard to make 550 horse
> in the Windsor and parts were very easy to get through and through.
>
>>>And Cleveland parts, although fewer in number, are no less easy to get.
>
> >My perception is that the Cleveland motor aftermarket support is much
> narrower, much more limited in choices for heads, intakes availability of
> good blocks, etc.
>
>>>True, but again, irrelevant.   There are a number of excellent options
available for both designs, and the prices are roughly comparable.

> >Factory accessories, exhaust systems etc are of no
> concern to me.
>
>>>Well, they should be.   There is really only one exhaust option
available for the Windsor, the headers sold by PIM.   Oh, and I guess you can get
180 degree exhausts from Precision Proformance, so that's two.   On the other
hand, there are numerous systems available for the 351C, so there the 351C
actually has an advantage.

> >So...the obvious forthcoming question...if originality wasn't a driving
> concern...why go Cleveland?? Whats the motivation other than purity? I
> find
> that a majority of Pantera enthusiasts aren't purists anyway. Are their
> other fitment concerns I'm not aware of?
>
>>>It's a matter of simplicity and parts availability.   While there are
more engine parts available for the Windsor, there are fewer external
accessory parts available.   So you would have to buy a bunch of external bits to
make it all work.

I used to be (for years and years) a huge proponent of switching to the
Windsor; at the time parts availability for the Cleveland wasn't good at all.
But the pendulum has swung the other way and now I'm a staunch Cleveland
advocate for the Pantera.

A determining factor may be whether or not you already have the external
bits for the Cleveland.   If you don't already have the necessary dipstick
setup, pulleys, throttle cable bracket etc. and would have to buy everything no
matter what, that reduces the advantage of the Cleveland over the Windsor.

You can't go wrong either way, thankfully. :>)