[DeTomaso] Windsor or Cleveland question..

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 13:53:00 EDT 2015

If I was going to spend a lot on an entirely new engine, I'd go with after market aluminum Cleveland heads.  I think you save about 25 pounds per head (50 total), and they look cool.
I think you may be a bit limited on intake manifolds if you build a 9.5 deck Clevor, there are single plane, air gap, race manifolds made for seriously high RPM, but there may not be a lot more.  I assume Dan Jones would be the expert on that.  If you build a 9.2 deck Clevor, I think you are limited to race blocks, which depending on the HP you want, may be a good thing, but be careful that you don't get a dry sump only block unless you really want that.  I think the iron 9.2 deck race blocks are about 200 pound (break even with aluminum heads and lower the CG), aluminum blocks are around 100 pounds.
Ken