[DeTomaso] IR FI system

coffield at mchsi.com coffield at mchsi.com
Wed Oct 28 09:50:35 EDT 2015

Observations ProComp IR FI Pictures--Also see link for picture.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/kcoffield/Annotated%20ProComp%20IR_zpseib5yzxb.jpg

First, I will tell you from experience there are several things to be aware of regarding 3-piece IR intakes. They are versatile but can be difficult to make seat properly on the head because the valley pan is typically not very rigid and can allow the right and left castings to shift/rock a bit t when they are tightened to the head. This can alter linkage settings. They also tend to slide down the head when you tighten them and the slotted holes on the ProComp intake will aggravate this tendency. You should figure on pinning them in place with a pair of dowels on each head. In my view this isn’t that big of a deal just as long as you are aware of and address it properly. Slotted holes work pretty good for synching down a one piece intake or aligning it to different port heights. CHI does this on their intakes and I suspect ProComp lifted this feature from their practice. You need to use liquid sealer between the valley pan and individual cast intake pieces or it will leak oil profusely.

That’s an odd position for the coolant port(s) for a 335 series intake. It’s way higher than the traditionally recommended location for 335 series heads and probably would just catch the top of the typical Windsor head coolant port. I’m not even sure it will hit the water jacket properly for a 335 series head. If you choose to take coolant from that height and you modify a C3 or any 335 series head to accommodate it, it won’t align with any other 335 series intake coolant port location that I know of (there are several 335 series high port head intakes with water necks). Of course this moot issue on 351c-no coolant port there and coolant can just as easily be removed from the front of the head.  You might also expect some sealing problems on those ProComp coolant ports as the outboard most mounting boss for 5/16-18 bolt is not present as it is on 335 series heads.

This is the typical puzzling features you see on ProComp stuff……they put a Windsor water port location (sort of?) on an intake that has port positions and mounting bosses for a 335 series head??....not Windsor. ?? I note the intake also has bosses on each runner for vacuum and injector ports which are useful. It’s interesting too because the TBs appear to be available with and without injector ports so one could potentiallyrun 2 injectors per runner if needed.

Whether or not that piece can be properly fit to C3 heads will depend upon where the mounting holes were located in respect to the ports and where the ports are located on the intake face. The ports look more like what people are fond of calling 3V ports (somewhere between 2V & 4V ala and popularized by CHI) than 2V ports to me. 2V ports a biased off the center lines compared to most 4V and high port heads. It appears the port size may be pretty close to the typical C3s and the intake face has quite a bit of stock under it. Whether it’s tall enough to span from the bottom of your head to top of your intake port in uncertain. It will need to be at least 3 ¼” from base to port roof and probably 3 ½” depending upon the porting on the C3 head. If not, expect to perform some welding, grinding and some surgery.

Although most of the mounting holes on the ProComp intake are slotted, the two holes between the center two runners (for 5/16-18 bolts on 335 series head) on the ProComp intake don’t appear to be slotted (much?). This will make both the intake and ports land at a given height even though the other holes are slotted. These may need to be slotted more to adjust the intake position on a head if there is enough boss material to do so.

It’s an interesting hodge-podge of Windsor and Cleveland/335 series features. It’s either a case of trying to make it adaptable to all those combos or designed by those who aren’t familiar with the nuance differences between the two series of heads. I’ve handled a couple of their other intakes. Although I didn’t hold them in high regard for performance potential due to their design features, the casting quality was actually pretty good with decent temper. I never tried to weld on any of them though so can’t comment on the alloy suitability for such.
If you decide to pursue purchasing the system, price dependent, I may be interested in the two intake castings if they would sell them separately so I could have a closer look. I’ve certainly done a lot more for a lot less when it comes to modifying intakes for custom combinations.

As far as the throttle bodies and rest of the hardware on that system, I’ve never had my hands on those so I can’t really comment on them other than to say there are a lot of hardware subtleties that make for good performance and reliability on an IR system.

Best,
Kelly