[DeTomaso] Driving in the rain/Decklid opening modification

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Tue Oct 27 14:44:28 EDT 2015

Sealing the area off - as in sealing the window above the engine?  Easy answer - quit sucking everything off the road and venting it thru said window.

Thinking about it, the original covers for the engine and the surrounding areas would have been a restriction on the air flow.  Many, like myself, have removed either the center section, or all three pieces.  This allows for a lot more air flow, and a lot more crap coming up from the road.  But, even with these in place, parking one of these cars in the rain will result in water in the engine compartment.  It would be nice to eliminate this.

As other projects get done I continue to think about installing glass in the opening.  Before doing this I plan to run some tests to see learn a bit about the following parameters at different speeds:

-        pressure in the engine compartment (relative to pressure in the passenger compartment),

-        direction and speed of rotation of the a/c condenser fan (as in a volt meter hooked up to the fan motor terminals to see what is happening),

-        air temperature in the area above the engine, and

-        pressure just behind the a/c condenser grill (relative to pressure in the passenger compartment),

-        Airflow through the opening – will have to get creative with my vane-anemometer

Then, after I put in a test window, see how the numbers change.  First concern I see is how much force will be on the window due to vacuum created in the area just outside of the new window.  Doesn’t take a lot of pressure to generate some serious force on a piece of glass.

It has surprised me, on the times I have had the opportunity to work around the engine when it is running, how much cooler this area is then in cars with the engine behind the radiator.  I suspect that the gaps around the deck lid will provide sufficient draft to keep from building up a lot of heat in the engine compartment with the opening sealed.  But, hopefully, tests will tell.

Stephen Nelson