[DeTomaso] POCA - Candidate for President

Michael Shortt michaelsavga at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 17:02:32 EDT 2015

Good Evening,

Soon you will be receiving ballots for the election of officers to run POCA
for another term, and I wanted to take one last opportunity to reach out to
you with my "platform" and reasons why I
​ ​
should be your choice for this exceptional opportunity.

I see this as a club in transition, it has done very well since the
beginning, many of you may be original members, some of you may have even
bought your car new from a L-M dealer ( wow, what must it have been like to
be the coolest guy in town driving a Pantera compared to cars of that era).
Times have changed and technology is leaps and bounds beyond what was
available to clubs in the past, I know it was hard to retain members when
information systems were still on paper and analog.
In my humble opinion, POCA needs growth desperately, the club at this point
in time may represent in the neighborhood of 10% of Panteras, while the
original owners may have passed on to that big racetrack up there, their
old cars are still down here, being driven by somebody who is not a member
of this club.
Too much work and energy has been spent, suffered over, fought over and
probably bleed over to let it all just fade away, while California may be
strong, the southern seven states of GA, NC, SC, TN, AL, MS and AR had a
listed 12 POCA members, half of them no longer even own their cars.  The
Southeast Chapter died and remained dormant for 10 years until Tim and
Sandy Clinger became energized and have put together over 20 members in FL
just in the last few months.
​ ​
I'm here to tell you that there are at least 4,000 Panter
​as
 out there someplace, somebody's prized toy and they are not
​POCA ​
members. They need to be contacted and recruited to join.

But why should they, because POCA, again in my humble opinion, needs to
give them a reason to join, consolidated valuable technical resources and
information in one place, not 30 places across the world wide web, We need
to offer group discounts on a National basis for members on consumable
products that we all use.  We need the power of bulk buying and mass
quantities to make buying club wear cheaper and better, selling 20 t-shirts
is great, selling 1,000 is much better and they cost much less.
​  One example of this has already been accomplished, I can now release
that every POCA member is entitled to a 5% discount on Collector Car
insurance thru American Modern
Insurance Company by being a member of POCA, that's official as of today.
The contact information is below and it remains in place regardless of the
election results. this is a small sample of what I can do for all of us
with your support.

We can grow the club into the 21st century by reaching out to the media,
building an awareness of the club and the cars, it's that awareness that
helps value grow and with growing values comes more vendor support and
players who want to reach 4,000 owners instead of 400 owners.

I have no intention of fixing things that are not broken, the fun rally is
one of those, but with a greater membership, the opportunity for more than
one or regional fun rally opportunities becomes greater and more realistic.

I believe that day to day operations of the chapters should be run by the
chapters, I have no intention of micromanaging any of that, but what I
would like to see is a greater communication between the chapters to share
ideas, resources, ideas and report on what works and what doesn't work. why
constantly reinvent the wheel in chapter after chapter.

You must each vote for what platform or who you think can best lead this
organization forward,  I'd like it to be me for all the above reasons. Most
of you don't know me, many have seen my name on the forum where I have been
a top 20 contributor for 10 years plus.
​ ​
In that time, sometimes my relative youth has shown itself ( but at 56, I'm
no longer the 45 year old who just bought his dream car that I once was ),
what I am is a dedicated, passionate, lover of the Pantera ever since I was
10 years old and cut the as out of a magazine and framed it and kept it 35
years until I bought one that looked just like it.

It's true, I'm not west coast, I'm not California, but if I were, I may not
have seen what is happening everyplace else, the marque is unrepresented
and this is the Pantera Owners Club of America, not just California, you
folks need the rest of the country too.
​ Th
​
ose cars are out there and getting them involved could very well give our
club a growth rate unlike any other club i
​n car club
 history and with that, every advantage that comes with it.

I hesitate to say I'm offering change, because I don't want to change, I
want to grow and improve, your vote will help me do that and serve the
DeTomaso Pantera legacy for the next 45 years.

Thank you for reading through this, I truly appreciate your time.

Michael Shortt

​American Modern Collector Car Insurance
​Amy Spengler

TDC Risk Management

Insuring Collector Cars, Homes, Wine, Watercraft, Aircraft and More

1440 Arrowhead Drive

Maumee, OH  43537

419-794-1080 Direct

419-794-7174 Fax

877-545-2522 Toll Free

aspengler at tdcriskmanagement.com

www.tdcriskmanagement.com

​Greetings from Sunny Georgia,

As you may know by now, I am a candidate for the open position
of President of POCA.
I would appreciate your vote in the upcoming election and if you read
further, perhaps I can
give you reasons to support my election.​

First, let me say that I'm not running against Rob, I'm running for the
position, I will not now, nor ever resort to disparaging or otherwise
referring to my opponent ( which is such an unfortunate term).  There is no
place in an avocational organization like POCA for cliques or groups that
place themselves above others, we're all here for fun and the comradeship
of a common and shared interest - all things Detomaso Pantera.

I will attach my candidate statement below which was previously shared,
what I'd like to do in this email is simply share some of my thoughts on
projects I would like to pursue as President.

1. Growth, if there were 5,244 Panteras imported into the US (and there
were ) and if 25%
of them have ceased to exist through accidents or neglect (1,311), that
means 3.933
must still exist and yet this club has only approximately 1,000 members.
We're only a bit above 25% of the total ownership and frankly that's weak,
imagine what we could accomplish with 2,000 or even 3,000 members.

2. Awareness, as you all know, values are climbing on a monthly basis, with
this awareness comes more interest and we need to be the first place
everybody turns to for that information.
We can through a revised website and more social media have a bigger
presence in the automotive world.  A part of that could be a huge archive
all of things Pantera that is accessible by everyone at anytime. Repair
tips, Part Crossovers, Manuals, TSB, ads, photos, old catalogs, etc.  We
currently have several members that maintain websites that are real gems,
but what if for some reason, they leave the marque, pass away, etc. What
becomes of all those years of effort? We need a way to preserve and honor
those who have put in long hours and effort to help us all.

3. Chapter support.  At best I think that a National Office exists
primarily to serve the chapters in their day to day operations, National
will only be as good as the sum of its parts.  Again, we could establish a
method whereby chapters more easily communicate to share ideas, methods,
etc.  What works in one place might work elsewhere, but why let the other
people reinvent the wheel when sharing the basics can be so much more
efficient.

4. Buying Power, with 1,000 - 3,000 people all buying the same products,
there needs to be an effort made to monetize our collective buying power,
other groups are getting 10% off at Tire Rack, why aren't we? We can set up
common insurance carriers, batteries, oil, etc.  All it takes is the effort
to be put forth and then adherence and support by the membership.

5. There is currently a Fun Rally and it's returning to Las Vegas, I have
no intention of trying to fix what's not broken, but I would like to
explore an East Coast Fun Rally in addition to more POCA events all around
the country open to several chapters participation.

In closing, let me suggest that a breath of fresh air is a good thing
sometimes, through a few ideas against the wall and see which ones stick.
I first joined POCA over 10 years ago, left and came back, I've spent that
time being very active on the forum and through various events and clubs.

Thank you,

Michael Shortt

Original Candidate Statement

Hi my name is Michael Shortt

I am running for the position of President of POCA.

I bring over 35 years of work experience in business: Advertising, Public
Relations, Marketing, and Production. I have the privilege of calling
myself a Writer/Producer/Director and was recently admitted into the
Producers Guild of America.
This work experience is directly applicable to POCA because a great deal of
what I do is the direct result of my imagination, I think of something, I
plan it out in great detail, I find or supply funding, create the proper
environment and I make it happen by organizing every detail and acquiring
the best
Artists, craftspeople and trades people to implement the plan through
completion.
A Producer's job is at its' essence, a CEO, President or sometimes more
appropriately, the ultimate Ringmaster.

As President of POCA, I would work to promote the club in the media and
create a greater awareness of our cars, with that awareness, we will grow
membership and involve membership in a variety of POCA regional activities.
It is my opinion that organizations like POCA are at heart, a resource for
strong regional chapters, with a responsibility to provide cohesive
materials, directives and guidelines to provide a
consistent POCA experience from chapter to chapter while preserving each
chapter's own unique character and geographic flavor.
A POCA President should lead by listening, evaluating what works in
successful chapters and sharing that information nationally amongst all the
chapters.

I've been an automotive enthusiast my whole life and
involved Motorsports for over 50 years. My mother's family was in the auto
parts business as auto parts store owners, parts warehousing,
manufacturer's reps and as wholesale jobbers.
When I was young my father owned and operated three full service gas
stations. My childhood allowance earning opportunities were either stacking
and stapling auto parts catalog sheets for my grandfather or shoveling used
oil absorbent out of a grease pit for my dad.
My father was also an early member of NHRA and campaigned a series of GTO's
in what would later become the ProStock class.
My first time in front of a large crowd was at age 6 riding up to the beach
box at Thunder Valley in Bristol, VA. My pit job was maintaining the cold
can by keeping it filled with crushed ice from the concession stand.
My own racing experience included drag racing a 1970 Mustang Mach One (
with a Cleveland of course ) while in high school, and helping others build
race cars. In college, I discovered sports cars and campaigned a series of
TR-6s in SCCA Solo I & II events, making it into the
national divisional once. I also crewed on a National D Sports Racer and
later became a corner worker with National credentials.
After college I went through a long line of Sports cars and raced SCCA
C Sports Racers, twice winning the S.A.R.R.C. Championship. Additionally I
served on the BOD of the SCCA Buccaneer Region and was partly responsible
for our club buying Roebling Road Raceway, thus becoming the only SCCA
entity to own a racetrack. I also worked to institute track days and
practice days and tripled the track's income in less than one year.
I have founded and sold several businesses and served on many B.O.D. of
other organizations over the years, including service on two different Home
Owner's Association B.O.D. s with terms as President overseeing yearly
budgets exceeding 700k.

My first exposure to a Detomaso Pantera was an advertisement in my
stepfather's Playboy magazine; I may still be the only kid punished for
cutting up a Playboy and not keeping the centerfold. It became my dream car
and I went through a long list of cars to finally find one after five years
of searching.
1660 and I connected on July 5th, 2005 which is also when I first
joined POCA.
My Pantera was one of the first to have its own web page "
michaelspantera.com"
where I have shared our adventures, specs and continuing upgrades.

I am very passionate about all things Pantera, to my eye, it remains in the
top five automotive designs in history. I have been sharing my car and
Pantera knowledge since its purchase, it has won numerous trophies at cars
shows, displayed at a concourse or two, ripped up "The Tail of the Dragon"
several times and been driven at pace on many racetracks, it is no trailer
queen.

What I offer as a candidate for POCA President is a fresh perspective. I
offer a history of Creative ideas, the ability to guide others and a
willingness to work hard to see good ideas evaluated fairly, the best
chosen and successfully carried out from concept to fruition.

So in ending my candidate statement, please consider me as a qualified
candidate for as your POCA President and vote to give me a shot at proving
what I can do to help grow our club while providing a better club
experience for those already committed.

Thank you,

Michael Shortt

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
www.michaelshortt.com
michael at michaelshortt.com
912-232-9390

   Good Evening,
   Soon you will be receiving ballots for the election of officers to run
   POCA for another term, and I wanted to take one last opportunity to
   reach out to you with my "platform" and reasons why I
   a a
   should be your choice for this exceptional opportunity. A
[...]
   cars.A  The Southeast Chapter died and remained dormant for 10 years
   until Tim and Sandy Clinger became energized and have put together over
   20 members in FL just in the last few months.A
   a a
   I'm here to tell you that there are at least 4,000 Panter
   aas
   A out there someplace, somebody's prized toy and they are notA
   aPOCA a
   members. They need to be contacted and recruited to join.
   But why should they, because POCA, again in my humble opinion, needs to
   give them a reason to join, consolidated valuable technical resources
   and information in one place, not 30 places across the world wide web,
   We need to offer group discounts on a National basis for members on
   consumable products that we all use.A  We need the power of bulk buying
   and mass quantities to make buying club wear cheaper and better,
   selling 20 t-shirts is great, selling 1,000 is much better and they
   cost much less.
   a A One example of this has already been accomplished, I can now
   release that every POCA member is entitled to a 5% discount on
   Collector Car insurance thru American ModernA
[...]
   this organization forward, A I'd like it to be me for all the above
   reasons. Most of you don't know me, many have seen my name on the forum
   where I have been a top 20 contributor for 10 years plus.
   a a
   In that time, sometimes my relative youth has shown itself ( but at 56,
   I'm no longer the 45 year old who just bought his dream car that I once
   was ), what I am is a dedicated, passionate, lover of the Pantera ever
   since I was 10 years old and cut the as out of a magazine and framed it
   and kept it 35 years until I bought one that looked just like it.
   It's true, I'm not west coast, I'm not California, but if I were, I may
   not have seen what is happening everyplace else, the marque is
   unrepresented and this is the Pantera Owners Club of America, not just
   California, you folks need the rest of the country too.
   a Th
   ose cars are out there and getting them involved could very well give
   our club a growth rate unlike any other club i
   an car clubA
   A history and with that, every advantage that comes with it. A
   I hesitate to say I'm offering change, because I don't want to change,
   I want to grow and improve, your vote will help me do that and serve
   the DeTomaso Pantera legacy for the next 45 years.
   Thank you for reading through this, I truly appreciate your time.
   Michael Shortt
   aAmerican Modern Collector Car Insurance
   aAmy Spengler

   TDC Risk Management

   Insuring Collector Cars, Homes, Wine,A Watercraft, AircraftA and More

   1440 Arrowhead Drive

   Maumee, OHA  43537

   [1]419-794-1080A Direct

   [2]419-794-7174A Fax

   [3]877-545-2522A Toll Free

   [4]aspengler at tdcriskmanagement.com

   [5]www.tdcriskmanagement.com
   aGreetings from Sunny Georgia,
   As you may know by now, I am a candidate for the open position
   ofA PresidentA ofA POCA.
   I would appreciate your vote in the upcoming election and if you read
   further, perhaps I can
   give you reasons to support my election.a
   First, let me say that I'm not running against Rob, I'm running for the
   position, I will not now, nor ever resort to disparaging or otherwise
   referring to my opponent ( which is such an unfortunate term).A  There
   is no place in an avocational organization likeA POCAA for cliques or
   groups that place themselves above others, we're all here for fun and
   the comradeship of a common and shared interest - all things Detomaso
   Pantera.
   I will attach my candidate statement below which was previously shared,
   what I'd like to do in this email is simply share some of my thoughts
   on projects I would like to pursue asA President.
   1. Growth, if there were 5,244 Panteras imported into the US (and there
   were ) and if 25%
   of them have ceased to exist through accidents or neglect (1,311), that
   means 3.933
   must still exist and yet this club has only approximately 1,000
   members. We're only a bit above 25% of the total ownership and frankly
   that's weak, imagine what we could accomplish with 2,000 or even 3,000
   members.
   2. Awareness, as you all know, values are climbing on a monthly basis,
   with this awareness comes more interest and we need to be the first
   place everybody turns to for that information.
   We can through a revised website and more social media have a bigger
   presence in the automotive world.A  A part of that could be a huge
   archive all of things Pantera that is accessible by everyone at
   anytime. Repair tips, Part Crossovers, Manuals, TSB, ads, photos, old
   catalogs, etc.A  We currently have several members that maintain
   websites that are real gems, but what if for some reason, they leave
   the marque, pass away, etc. What becomes of all those years of effort?
   We need a way to preserve and honor those who have put in long hours
   and effort to help us all.
   3. Chapter support.A  At best I think that a National Office exists
   primarily to serve the chapters in their day to day operations,
   National will only be as good as the sum of its parts.A  Again, we
   could establish a method whereby chapters more easily communicate to
   share ideas, methods, etc.A  What works in one place might work
   elsewhere, but why let the other people reinvent the wheel when sharing
   the basics can be so much more efficient.A
   4. Buying Power, with 1,000 - 3,000 people all buying the same
   products, there needs to be an effort made to monetize our collective
   buying power, other groups are getting 10% off at Tire Rack, why aren't
   we? We can set up common insurance carriers, batteries, oil, etc.A  All
   it takes is the effort to be put forth and then adherence and support
   by the membership.
   5. There is currently a Fun Rally and it's returning to Las Vegas, I
   have no intention of trying to fix what's not broken, but I would like
   to explore an East Coast Fun Rally in addition to moreA POCAA events
   all around the country open to several chapters participation.
   In closing, let me suggest that a breath of fresh air is a good thing
   sometimes, through a few ideas against the wall and see which ones
   stick.A  I first joinedA POCAA over 10 years ago, left and came back,
   I've spent that time being very active on the forum and through various
   events and clubs.
   Thank you,
   Michael Shortt
   Original Candidate Statement
   Hi my name is Michael Shortt
   I am running for the position ofA PresidentA ofA POCA.
   I bring over 35 years of work experience in business: Advertising,
   Public Relations, Marketing, and Production. I have the privilege of
   calling myself a Writer/Producer/Director and was recently admitted
   into the Producers Guild of America.A
   This work experience is directly applicable toA POCAA because a great
   deal of what I do is the direct result of my imagination, I think of
   something, I plan it out in great detail, I find or supply funding,
   create the proper environment and I make it happen by organizing every
   detail and acquiring the best
   Artists, craftspeople and trades people to implement the plan through
   completion.
   A Producer's job is at its' essence, a CEO,A PresidentA or sometimes
   more appropriately, the ultimate Ringmaster.A
   AsA PresidentA ofA POCA, I would work to promote the club in the media
   and create a greater awareness of our cars, with that awareness, we
   will grow membership and involve membership in a variety
   ofA POCAA regional activities. It is my opinion that organizations
   likeA POCAA are at heart, a resource for strong regional chapters, with
   a responsibility to provide cohesive materials, directives and
   guidelines to provide a consistentA POCAA experience from chapter to
   chapter while preserving each chapter's own unique character and
   geographic flavor.
   AA POCAA PresidentA should lead by listening, evaluating what works in
   successful chapters and sharing that information nationally amongst all
   the chapters.
   I've been an automotive enthusiast my whole life and
   involvedA MotorsportsA for over 50 years. My mother's family was in the
   auto parts business as auto parts store owners, parts warehousing,
   manufacturer's reps and as wholesale jobbers.A
   When I was young my father owned and operated three full service gas
   stations. My childhood allowance earning opportunities were either
   stacking and stapling auto parts catalog sheets for my grandfather or
   shoveling used oil absorbent out of a grease pit for my dad.A
   My father was also an early member of NHRA and campaigned a series of
   GTO's in what would later become the ProStock class.
   My first time in front of a large crowd was at age 6 riding up to the
   beach box at Thunder Valley in Bristol, VA. My pit job was maintaining
   the cold can by keeping it filled with crushed ice from the concession
   stand.A
   My own racing experience included drag racing a 1970 Mustang Mach One (
   with a Cleveland of course ) while in high school, and helping others
   build race cars. In college, I discovered sports cars and campaigned a
   series of TR-6s in SCCA Solo I & II events, making it into the
   nationalA divisionalA once. I also crewed on a National D Sports Racer
   and later became a corner worker with National credentials.A
   After college I went through a long line of Sports cars and raced SCCA
   C Sports Racers, twice winning the S.A.R.R.C. Championship.
   Additionally I served on the BOD of the SCCA Buccaneer Region and was
   partly responsible for our club buying Roebling Road Raceway, thus
   becoming the only SCCA entity to own a racetrack. I also worked to
   institute track days and practice days and tripled the track's income
   in less than one year.
   I have founded and sold several businesses and served on many B.O.D. of
   other organizations over the years, including service on two different
   Home Owner's Association B.O.D. s with terms asA PresidentA overseeing
   yearly budgets exceeding 700k.
   My first exposure to a Detomaso Pantera was an advertisement in my
   stepfather's Playboy magazine; I may still be the only kid punished for
   cutting up a Playboy and not keeping the centerfold. It became my dream
   car and I went through a long list of cars to finally find one after
   five years of searching.A
   1660 and I connected on July 5th, 2005 which is also when I first
   joinedA POCA.A
   My Pantera was one of the first to have its own web page
   "[6]michaelspantera.com"
   where I have shared our adventures, specs and continuing upgrades.
   I am very passionate about all things Pantera, to my eye, it remains in
   the top five automotive designs in history. I have been sharing my car
   and Pantera knowledge since its purchase, it has won numerous trophies
   at cars shows, displayed at a concourse or two, ripped up "The Tail of
   the Dragon" several times and been driven at pace on many racetracks,
   it is no trailer queen.
   What I offer as a candidate forA POCAA PresidentA is a fresh
   perspective. I offer a history of Creative ideas, the ability to guide
   others and a willingness to work hard to see good ideas evaluated
   fairly, the best chosen and successfully carried out from concept to
   fruition.A
   So in ending my candidate statement, please consider me as a qualified
   candidate for as yourA POCAA PresidentA and vote to give me a shot at
   [7]www.michaelshortt.com
   [8]michael at michaelshortt.com
   912-232-9390
   privileged.A  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
   notified
   communication is strictly prohibited.A  Please reply to the sender that
   you
   have received this message in error, then delete it.A  Thank you