[DeTomaso] trunk latch not catching

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Mon Oct 19 08:01:51 EDT 2015

Firstly, if you have not added an emergency release cable, now is the time
to do it.  The last thing you want to do is monkey with the trunk release
to get it to latch and find out that it now does not unlatch.

With the trunk open and the interior release handle fully returned to its
closed position, can you verify that the cable is slack?  Sometimes, the
little support for my cable makes the cable still have tension on it and I
have to bend it slightly to get slack.  If the cable is worn, it may also
be too tight to release.

Next, check to make sure the mechanism is not binding somewhere.  It should
have free movement when you operate the release latch.

Lastly, see what adjustments you can make to the latch but if you do not
have the emergency release you may get stuck.

Lastly,

Rob DuMoulin
904.476.8744
rob at dumoulins.net
www.kbsi.co
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Pantdino via DeTomaso <detomaso at poca.com>
wrote:

>    I have had my car since 1989 and closing the front trunk has always
>    involved pushing down on the area of the latch pretty much as hard as I
>    can, using my wimpy 160 lbs weight to engage the latch.  When closed
>    the cover sits flush with the surrounding sheet metal.
>

>    Today I tried to close it and it won't quite engage.  I can feel it
>    "almost" catching but it won't.  I loosened the nuts holding the latch
>    and moved it up as far as it will go, but it didn't make any
>    difference.
>

>    The pin on the trunk lid is bent slightly downward, which is how it has
>    always been, IIRC.
>

>    What do I do now?    Bend the pin down or remove the latch and open up
>    the mounting slots a bit so it will move further up?
>

>    Jim

> the links above.

-------------- next part --------------
   Firstly, if you have not added an emergency release cable, now is the
   time to do it.A  The last thing you want to do is monkey with the trunk
   release to get it to latch and find out that it now does not unlatch.
   With the trunk open and the interior release handle fully returned to
   its closed position, can you verify that the cable is slack?A
   Sometimes, the little support for my cable makes the cable still have
   tension on it and I have to bend it slightly to get slack.A  If the
   cable is worn, it may also be too tight to release.
   Next, check to make sure the mechanism is not binding somewhere.A  It
   should have free movement when you operate the release latch.
   Lastly, see what adjustments you can make to the latch but if you do
   not have the emergency release you may get stuck.
   Lastly,A

   Rob DuMoulin
   904.476.8744
   [1]rob at dumoulins.net
   [2]www.kbsi.co
   [3]http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58
   On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Pantdino via DeTomaso