[DeTomaso] trunk latch not catching

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sat Oct 17 14:01:59 EDT 2015

I have had my car since 1989 and closing the front trunk has always involved pushing down on the area of the latch pretty much as hard as I can, using my wimpy 160 lbs weight to engage the latch.  When closed the cover sits flush with the surrounding sheet metal.

Today I tried to close it and it won't quite engage.  I can feel it "almost" catching but it won't.  I loosened the nuts holding the latch and moved it up as far as it will go, but it didn't make any difference.

The pin on the trunk lid is bent slightly downward, which is how it has always been, IIRC.

What do I do now?    Bend the pin down or remove the latch and open up the mounting slots a bit so it will move further up?

Jim