[DeTomaso] Pictures

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Oct 15 19:56:21 EDT 2015

In a message dated 10/12/15 14 19 3, cmccann1972 at gmail.com writes:

> I recall reading the last few cars received 5.0 engines.
>
> (snip)

Only the Pantera Si came with the 5.0 motor.   BTW, I recently learned that
'Si' stands for 'Scintilla incendiare', which means 'spark ignition'.

> >I suppose that motor might be a 351W lighting
> motor?
>
>>>No, it's a 5.0 engine.

> > I just thought I read they were all either Clevelands or the last
> few were 5.0's. Hard to tell but that certainly looks like a 302/5.0 motor
> with the lower deck height. For what its worth, Ive had a 5.0 mustang with
> that same intake, healthy cam and heads make over 400 horse and put me in
> the mid-low 12's in the quarter. They can be very healthy if done right
> and
> arguably lighter. But they do seems tiny in that engine bay.
>
>>>My understanding is that the Si Panteras received bog-standard 5.0
Mustang engines with nothing special about them.   I know absolutely nothing
about those engines so would have to defer to you when you identify performance
parts there; I suppose it's always possible that De Tomaso was buying
over-the-counter crate performance engines from Ford, which may have differed from
the standard production Mustang engines.   You'd have to consult a late 80s
SVO catalog to be sure.

> >Did any factory equipped pantera ever receive a 351Windsor engine?
> Didn't
> think so.
>
>>>Oh yes, quite a few late Panteras were 351W equipped, when the supply of
Australian 351Cs dried up.   They were weak as a kitten--bog-standard truck
engines sourced from the USA.   Colin Bradshaw (who is a lurker here)
bought his '89 Pantera new from the factory, and paid extra to have a hotted-up
version.   When it finally blew up many years later and he took it apart, he
discovered that De Tomaso had taken his money but delivered a standard
engine--DOH!   Real Steel outside London then built him a kick-ass aluminum head
351W and that car is now all that it should have been to begin with.

> >I have never seen an SI up close. Do all of them have the tubular rear
> subframes like that? Unexpected. Looks more like an individual
> modification.
>
>>>It's not.   The Si chassis shares absolutely nothing with the earlier
Panteras--it's a clean-sheet design, with completely different construction
techniques