[DeTomaso] ZPC (Zero Pantera Content) - Kirby Schrader and Tony Iommi?

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Wed Oct 14 18:33:06 EDT 2015

Trick question, Emiliano.  Though a common misconception, Tony Iommi
didn't switch from right to left-handed guitars.  He always played
lefty, but, after losing the tips of two digits on his right hand in a
cutter accident while working in a machine shop as a young lad, he had
to teach himself to play using prosthetic fingertips.  This proved to
be painfully difficult and required the use of very light gauge
strings because he was not able to exert the usual pressure on the
strings required to play chords clearly.  It also meant he had to
write songs that could be played easily given this limitation, which
is one thing we all love about Black Sabbath songs:  you don't have to
be a virtuoso to play them. Oddly enough, his signature heavy,
evil-sounding tone was a result of this accident forcing him to play
very delicately on his Gibson SG model, an evil-looking guitar with
devil horns that he plugged into several mighty Marshall stacks
cranked-up into full overdrive, which more than compensated for his
light touch. ------------------------------- Just saw them on their
last tour, sans Bill Ward, which bummed me out.  Bill's
"Caveman-On-Cocaine" drumming style is a big part of their sound and
without him it sounded too slick.  Apparently Bill wanted to make as
much money on the tour as everybody else in the band and they would
only pay him at a "cowboy" rate.  I thought this was a cheap move,
given his unique and important contribution to Black Sabbath.   But
hiring some young wizard drummer for a fraction of the cost of Bill
might be understandable taking into account the history of Sabbath.
Ozzy is obviously richer than God due to his activities outside
Sabbath (thanks to the very shrewd Sharon), but Tony and Geezer may
not be so rich and hiring a tour drummer probably meant they got to
split most of what would have gone to Bill.   Sadly, the band was
pretty much out to lunch business-wise during their heyday.  Like many
artists of the 60's and 70's, their management and record companies
took them for drug-addled suckers and set them up with contracts that
squeezed every possible drop from them, getting them to sign away
their publishing rights to their songs, rights that we all know now
pay artists handsome residuals for the rest of their lives.   If you
can believe it, even today many very successful artists make only a
tiny fraction of what their CD's sell for.  With illegal downloading
(pirate theft) further diluting profits, they make even less from
their music sales.  Their money now is principally made by touring and
selling merch.  This is why we are seeing artists bypassing record
companies entirely, releasing music on their own labels and cutting
distribution deals and touring well into their 60's and even 70's
these days--  not so much because they love the road, but because they
gotta float that beachside villa in the Bahamas.
 Sent using Hushmail
On October 14, 2015 at 12:47 PM, "Terry Himes (397C)"  wrote:Better be
a Gibson Les Paul or I will be very disappointed.  ;-)
"Sometimes I think the surest signs that intelligent life
  exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried
  to contact us!"

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
InSight Sequence Team Lead