[DeTomaso] Pictures

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 11:24:01 EDT 2015

I have a couple of magazine articles on the Pantera Si from the 1991
timeframe.  Both are powered by 5.0L HO EFI engines but one is fitted with
the HO intake and one is fitted with a tubular GT-40 intake manifold.   The
one with HO intake lists the engine as

 305 bhp @ 5800 RPM
 333 lb-ft @ 3700 RPM
 11:1 compression

A stock 5.0L HO would have been rated at 225 HP @ 4200 RPM and 300 lb-ft @
3200 RPM with a 9.0:1 compression ratio and mass air EFI.  The article
mentions a different cam and pistons (required to get the 11:1 compression
ratio) along with larger valves for the heads (which would have been E7TE
truck heads unless they were swapped) and intake work.  Before the GT40
intake became available it was common to extrude hone or cut apart, hand
port and re-weld the HO intake.  The article which shows the GT40 tubular
intake quotes the same power and torque figures.  Presumably they switched
to the Ford Motorsport GT40 parts rather than continue re-working the HO
parts.  In the same timeframe, Ford sold an emissions legal "GT-40 Street
Legal Parts" kit rated at 270 HP using the SAE J1349 gross HP standard.
That kit consisted of the cast aluminum Cobra version of the tubular GT40
intake, cast iron GT40 heads, 1.6:1 rolller rockers, 65mm throttle body 24
lb/hr injectors, fuel pump, stainless steel tubular shorty headers and
underdrive pulleys.  A similar "GT40 Street Heat" kit was sold with 1.7:1
roller rockers and rated at 295 HP.  Essentially the same parts were used
on the 1993 Mustang Cobra but with a milder cam and rated at 235 HP net,
though the HO had dropped to 205 HP.  The 20 HP drop of the ase HO has been
attributed to a milder version of the HO, mass air (more restrictive than
the earlier speed density) and a revised SAE net HP test.

Dan Jones