[DeTomaso] Techno question: a fine mess--update

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Oct 10 21:40:18 EDT 2015

In a message dated 10/10/15 18 30 31, cengles at cox.net writes:

>         I am perturbed.  I have removed the new AC belt and I will test
> again tomorrow to see if I have finally localized the noise maker.  I am
> thinking about trying some of the belt treatments for squeaking since I
> have
> replaced *everything* at this point.
>

>>>The next thing you should do is remove ALL the belts and start it up.
A cold engine can run for quite some time on the battery, with no harm done.

If you still have the noise, then you know it is internal to the engine and
you can stop chasing after alternators, water pumps, pulleys, bearings,
belts etc. and start taking things apart.   (Timing chain region would be the
next place I looked).

On the other hand, if the beltless engine is nice and quiet, then one of
these external items is the source of your frustration.   Install the belts
one at a time and run the engine afterwards, to isolate which belt triggers
the noise, then look ONLY at the items THAT belt touches.

You will know the answer by the end of the day tomorrow, I promise!