[DeTomaso] Techno question: a fine mess--update

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Oct 10 21:30:23 EDT 2015

Dear Forum,

           It is still a fine mess.  The gremlins are well entrenched.  At
this point, I have:

1) ascertained that the balancer isn't hitting the block or pan

2) been unable to localize precisely the noise source despite the mechanic's
stethoscope or the garden hose stethoscope (it actually works a little
better in this instance, but still not a success).  It is coming from the
front of the engine-belt area.

3) replaced the alternator: no change and now the ammeter needle bounces

4) ascertained that I do have an electronic voltage regulator from
Motorcraft

5) replaced both belts: no change other than  a slight decrease in loudness
and slightly different quality to the noise

6) replaced the idler pulley:  no change. Sigh.   The old pulley does feel
like the bearing is starting to go out compared to the smoothness of the
replacement, but still no noise silencing with the change.

        I am perturbed.  I have removed the new AC belt and I will test
again tomorrow to see if I have finally localized the noise maker.  I am
thinking about trying some of the belt treatments for squeaking since I have
replaced *everything* at this point.

        With apologies to Mr. Friedman's famous quote: " Sadder, older,
wiser, I go now, seeking through faith and reason combined  the answer to
this baffling pageant which is the Pantera and the small by play, which is
my amateur wrenching."

                  Philosophically yours,  Chuck Engles