[DeTomaso] Insurance valuation

Bill Moore bill at incendium.com
Sat Oct 10 15:58:17 EDT 2015

Paint those red cars orange.

Cheers,
Bill MooreIncendium SupplyCalgary

-------- Original message --------
From: Michael Shortt <michaelsavga at gmail.com>
Date: 2015-10-10  1:51 PM  (GMT-07:00)
To: Mike Drew <MikeLDrew at aol.com>
Cc: detomaso at poca.com, detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Insurance valuation

I too await the day these cars show up.

Saving a couple of "I told you so's" to share.

If they were mine and only mine, all three would still be in my warehouse (
even if they were red). :-)

Michael
On Oct 10, 2015 2:50 PM, <MikeLDrew at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 10/9/15 10 30 54, detomasoregistry at gmail.com writes:
>

> While a "private sale" tends to be a good thing for the buyer
> (no competition, or less competition) I believe that a "private sale" is
> likely to
> not always obtain the "highest and best" price for the seller.

> strategy?  How desperate is he to make the sale sooner, rather than holding
> out for a better offer that might be right around the corner?
>

> >This is kind of the whole basis for auctions isn't it?

> laziness, or the car isn't nearly as good as one would hope, and won't
> stand up to close scrutiny.
>
> >I'd suspect that although Mr. Shortt may have reached a quick sale for
> his seller,
> I suspect he may have 'left some money on the table'.

> being patient and seeking the top possible sales price for each, the
> strategy seemed to be to sell them quickly, and sell them as a group.  That
> would result in a faster profit for the seller, but almost invariably would
> also result in a lower profit. On the other hand, it also required far less
> effort.  So one can't say that he did it 'wrong'; he focused on what was
> important to him and got the best possible result given the various time
> and effort-expended constraints.  And the buyers got a better deal than
> they would have otherwise.
>

> >If a car dealer bought, then we know the dealer thinks there is more
> money on the table.

> simple restorations, which had the potential to return great profit.  It
> will be interesting to see how long it is before these cars appear on the
> market again, and what their asking (and selling) prices are....
>
> Mike

   I too await the day these cars show up.

   Saving a couple of "I told you so's" to share.

   If they were mine and only mine, all three would still be in my
   warehouse ( even if they were red). :-)

   Michael

     While a "private sale" tends to be a good thing for the buyer
     (no competition, or less competition) I believe that a "private
     sale" is likely to
     not always obtain the "highest and best" price for the seller.
     >>>That all depends on the seller.A  How effective is his marketing
     strategy?A  How desperate is he to make the sale sooner, rather than
     holding out for a better offer that might be right around the
     corner?

     >This is kind of the whole basis for auctions isn't it?
     >>>Not really.A  People sell cars through auctions for two
     reasons:A  laziness, or the car isn't nearly as good as one would
     hope, and won't stand up to close scrutiny.

     >I'd suspect that although Mr. Shortt may have reached a quick sale
     for his seller,
     I suspect he may have 'left some money on the table'.
     >>>Unquestionably.A  Rather than offering the cars up individually,
     and being patient and seeking the top possible sales price for each,
     the strategy seemed to be to sell them quickly, and sell them as a
     group.A  That would result in a faster profit for the seller, but
     almost invariably would also result in a lower profit. On the other
     hand, it also required far less effort.A  So one can't say that he
     did it 'wrong'; he focused on what was important to him and got the
     best possible result given the various time and effort-expended
     constraints.A  And the buyers got a better deal than they would have
     otherwise.

     >If a car dealer bought, then we know the dealer thinks there is
     more money on the table.
     >>>Without a doubt.A  These three cars were prime candidates for
     very simple restorations, which had the potential to return great
     profit.A  It will be interesting to see how long it is before these

   1. mailto:MikeLDrew at aol.com
   2. mailto:detomasoregistry at gmail.com

   Paint those red cars orange.

   Cheers,