[DeTomaso] Insurance valuation

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Oct 10 14:50:11 EDT 2015

In a message dated 10/9/15 10 30 54, detomasoregistry at gmail.com writes:

> While a "private sale" tends to be a good thing for the buyer
> (no competition, or less competition) I believe that a "private sale" is
> likely to
> not always obtain the "highest and best" price for the seller.
>
>>>That all depends on the seller.   How effective is his marketing
strategy?   How desperate is he to make the sale sooner, rather than holding out
for a better offer that might be right around the corner?

> >This is kind of the whole basis for auctions isn't it?

laziness, or the car isn't nearly as good as one would hope, and won't stand up
to close scrutiny.

> >I'd suspect that although Mr. Shortt may have reached a quick sale for
> his seller,
> I suspect he may have 'left some money on the table'.
>
>>>Unquestionably.   Rather than offering the cars up individually, and
being patient and seeking the top possible sales price for each, the strategy
seemed to be to sell them quickly, and sell them as a group.   That would
result in a faster profit for the seller, but almost invariably would also
result in a lower profit.  On the other hand, it also required far less effort.
 So one can't say that he did it 'wrong'; he focused on what was important
to him and got the best possible result given the various time and
effort-expended constraints.   And the buyers got a better deal than they would have
otherwise.

> >If a car dealer bought, then we know the dealer thinks there is more
> money on the table.
>
>>>Without a doubt.   These three cars were prime candidates for very
simple restorations, which had the potential to return great profit.   It will be
interesting to see how long it is before these cars appear on the market
again, and what their asking (and selling) prices are....