[DeTomaso] GAS TANK LEAKING

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Oct 8 17:27:15 EDT 2015

In a message dated 10/5/15 8 36 40, detomaso at poca.com writes:

> My gas tank is leaking at the TOP thru the center of one rivet . The
> rivets and gasket were replaced about two months ago.
>
> Is there a better way to seal the top rather than using rivets  again?

Yoo betcha.

Well, you can still use the rivets, but you can then seal the rivets.
Chris Difani turned me on to a wonderful product originally developed for
Rolls-Royce turbine (jet) engines, called Hylomar.   It's a UK-made product that
has a distribution company in the USA:

http://www.hylomarsealant.com/

It's available on Amazon, cheep cheep.   Since the top of the tank surface
may be a bit irregular, the rubber gasket often doesn't seal as tight as you
would like.   In practice, after cleaning everything, put a generous bead
of this stuff on both sides of your rubber gasket, lay the gasket in place,
lay the metal ring atop it, let it set up for a bit (as much as it sets up),
then rivet it to the tank, which may cause excess stuff to smush out.   Use
some of that excess to seal the top of the rivets, and you're done. :>)