[DeTomaso] Techno question: a fine mess

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Thu Oct 8 08:26:53 EDT 2015

This morning's review.

Dear Asa, Patrick, Jim, Joe and Jerry,

            1) the noise is not constant, which is what makes locating
it troublesome.  It is usually there after everything is up to temp and
pressure after about 5 to 8 miles.  It is most noticeable at idle and
while backing up into the garage.  When present it will often cease with
a blip of the throttle only to return at idle rpm.  It is not noticeable
while driving.

             2)  I didn't see any corrosion with the removal and
installation exercise.....

             3)  Yes the old arrangement had a stable ammeter needle in
the positive zone.  The new arrangement has the needle bouncing from
near max positive to near max negative about once a second or so.

             4)  From what little I know (have been told!)  a bad diode
in the "new" alternator is plausible as the cause for the dancing needle

             5) there is no noise associated with the dancing needle
condition. It is a new bonus PITA as a metaphysical punishment for
trying to exorcise the deceptively simple noise from somewhere in the
front of the engine.

             6)  Back to the PRI on Friday evening.

             Thanks to all.

                            Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles