[DeTomaso] Techno question: a fine mess

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 15:46:41 EDT 2015

Belts are always a good candidate.  They start to decay in the air as soon
as they are manufactured and the highway is a hot ozone-rich environment
that can accelerate the process.  I just discovered my tires (on the Fiat)
were minted in 1995 and they are so badly cracked I really can't drive it
until I get replacements.

Bend a belt pack and see if there is cracking.  If there is, replace it.

But ummm... I think it might be your water pump.  I think you can use an
old broom handle as a stethoscope but the angle might make it impossible to
check from your vantage point.  I hope it's just the belt.

That reminds me, I have to find an idler pully.  Mine fell off :(

sean

--
   Belts are always a good candidate.A  They start to decay in the air as
   soon as they are manufactured and the highway is a hot ozone-rich
   tires (on the Fiat) were minted in 1995 and they are so badly cracked I
   really can't drive it until I get replacements.
   Bend a belt pack and see if there is cracking.A  If there is, replace
   it.
   But ummm... I think it might be your water pump.A  I think you can use
   an old broom handle as a stethoscope but the angle might make it
   impossible to check from your vantage point.A  I hope it's just the
   belt.
   That reminds me, I have to find an idler pully.A  Mine fell off :(
   sean

   On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Tomas Gunnarsson <[1]guson at home.se>
     Starting the engine when both belts are off would be an interesting
     excercise.
     Tomas
   > > I installed the back up stock alternator. I tested
   > the
   > > engine at idle and I am crushed that the noise is still there.
   > > So....the noise is from one of the belts or from the idler pulley.
   >
   >>>Right.A  A You'd be amazed at how noisy a perfectly good-looking
   belt can
   be.
   Belts are cheap and consumable; those living in an enclosed engine bay
   like
   the Pantera's don't benefit from airflow as they do in a front-engined
   car,
   so probably have a shorter effective lifespan.A  A You rarely get
   access to
   the front of the engine, so now is probably a good time to change them
   anyway.
   The idler pulley bearing can make one hell of a racket.A  A You can buy
   replacement bearing, then press (or have a machine shop press) the old
   bearing
   out and the new bearing in.A  A But the bearing is expensive, and labor
   adds
   further to the cost.
   Your local NAPA auto parts store has a replacement pulley with bearing,
   ready to bolt on, that costs less than the cost of just a replacement
   bearing
   for your old pulley.A  A It is slightly larger in outside diameter, but
   otherwise functions identically and allows the use of the same-size
   belt.
   Part number is Duralast 231036.A  A Cost is about $13-15 if memory
   serves,
   while just a replacement bearing for your old pulley is more like $25,
   and you
   haven't started paying machine shop costs.
   Changing the belts first will determine if you need the pulley.A  A If
   you
   don't, just return it.A  A And if you do, have it in your hands and
   install that
   next.
   There, you fixed it. :>)

   use the links above.

   use the links above.

   --
   Sean Korb [10]spkorb at spkorb.org [11]http://www.spkorb.org
   '65,'68 Mustangs,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera
   "Computers are useless.A  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso