[DeTomaso] Techno question: a fine mess

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Wed Oct 7 07:41:28 EDT 2015

Is the squeal at idle or only starts at a certain rev?
Is the AC compressor kicked in when it makes the noise?
Since you determined it is not the alternator, put the old one back on and
see if the ammeter still jumps

Rob DuMoulin
904.476.8744
rob at dumoulins.net
www.kbsi.co
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 9:15 PM, Charles Engles <cengles at cox.net> wrote:

>    Dear Forum,
>

>                 The predicament: a funny howling, squealing noise from the
>    front of the engine.  I inspect things and cannot localize it, but it
>    appears that it is not the AC idler pulley or bearing.  The belts look
>    good.  A temperature gun shows that the alternator axle (?) was 35 or
>    50 degrees hotter than anything else on the front of the engine
>    pulleys.   I decided that the noise may be coming from the alternator
>    bearing.
>
>    Loosening and tightening the idler pulley didn't change anything.
>

>                 I pulled off the old stock alternator.   I pulled out
>    another stock alternator from the parts supply that was working well
>    when removed in 1998.   The suspect alternator had a tiny bit of
>    roughness and a subtle noise when I spun it on the bench with my
>    fingers.  The "new" old alternator did not.   I thought that I had
>    found the problem.
>

>                 I installed the back up stock alternator.   I tested the
>    engine at idle and I am crushed that the noise is still there.
>    So....the noise is from one of the belts or from the idler pulley.
>

>                 Plus a new problem: the ammeter is bouncing back and forth
>    like a metronome with a seizure.   This really confuses me because
>    after I placed the ammeter shunt decades ago the bounce has been gone.
>    Now, the only thing that is changed is the alternator that is from
>    Pantera 7191 and place on Pantera 7171, which should be the same
>    alternator.
>

>                So the search for the squeal goes on.   The electrical
>    mystery of the Return of the Curse of the Bouncing Ammeter has me
>    baffled.
>

>                I can accept the continuing task of the squeal search, but
>    I do not understand my electrical problem.  Can anyone explain this to
>    an electrically challenged Pantera technician??
>

>                                  Flummoxed,  Chuck Engles

> the links above.

   Is the squeal at idle or only starts at a certain rev?
   Is the AC compressor kicked in when it makes the noise? A

   [1]rob at dumoulins.net
   [2]www.kbsi.co
   [3]http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58
   On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 9:15 PM, Charles Engles <[4]cengles at cox.net>