[DeTomaso] Engine position

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 14:59:14 EDT 2015

In a stone-stock Pantera, the halfshafts run at a small compound angle at all times; they are not straight across (zero angle) even when the car is parked. Hooke-type u-joints can compensate for quite an angle with no bad results at all. In fact, a small angle is preferred since that makes the needle bearings in the u-joints move a bit in operation. Same theory in using a 2 degree angle on a front-engine driveshaft. Without some motion, the u-joint needles will pound on the exact same point on their shafts, soon flat-spotting the tiny needles or indenting the shafts. Our street Pantera has had its powertrain dropped 1" and slid back 3/4" for nearly a decade with no ill effects. Bob Byars slides his very high-torque big-block conversions backwards FOUR FULL INCHES, on custom engine and transaxle mounts, and even long-distance driving or open track racing does not ruin the stock u-joints he uses. I'd say the halfshaft angles are unimportant; whats important is making sure u-joints are well greased..

Is there a desired alignment of the transaxle with the rear wheel
axle? The motor fore and aft position could have the half shafts at a
horizontal angle.
While asking, the same concern about half shaft angle when ride height is
changed.

Bill, I can't help with your question, but I have a related question for
the
group.

Is there a desired alignment of the transaxle with the rear wheel
axle?
The motor fore and aft position could have the half shafts at a
horizontal
angle.
While asking, the same concern about half shaft angle when
ride height is
changed.

Bill, hope you're dry!

Joe/NC