[DeTomaso] Campi sealing

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sun Oct 4 16:29:54 EDT 2015

All known clear-coats eventually allow the underlying magnesium to discolor. It is one of the most reactive metals known so this is not surprising. Wheels flex in use and the flexing cracks coatings. The approved method for sealing mag' involves a first coat of yellow/green zinc chromate (a self-healing coating) followed by a coat or two of some type of paint; often, Argent Silver in urethane or epoxy. Dow-Corning, maker of much of the magnesium metal in the U.S also has some proprietary coatings for special cases and none are clear. Even this is not absolute proof against moisture and smog but it/s the best available. ALL others will need periodic re-dos. So if you need shiny wheels, chrome plate some aluminum units; mag also CANNOT be plated.