[DeTomaso] POCA Elections - President

Ed Mendez edducati at mac.com
Sun Oct 4 15:51:00 EDT 2015

Hey guys it's voting time again for the POCA board. Michael Shortt has stepped up to the plate to run for President. Here is his candidate statement.

Hi my name is Michael Shortt

I am running for the position of President of POCA.

I bring over 35 years of work experience in business: Advertising, Public Relations, Marketing, and Production.  I have the privilege of calling myself a Writer/Producer/Director and was recently admitted into the Producers Guild of America.
This work experience is directly applicable to POCA because a great deal of what I do is the direct result of my imagination, I think of something, I plan it out in great detail, I find or supply funding, create the proper environment  and I make it happen by organizing every detail and acquiring the best
Artists, craftspeople and trades people to implement the plan through completion.
A Producer's job is at its' essence, a CEO, President or sometimes more appropriately,  the ultimate Ringmaster.

As President of POCA, I would work to promote the club in the media and create a greater awareness of our cars, with that awareness, we will grow membership and involve membership in a variety of POCA regional activities. It is my opinion that organizations like POCA are at heart, a resource for strong regional  chapters, with a responsibility to provide cohesive materials, directives and guidelines to provide a consistent POCA experience from chapter to chapter while preserving each chapter's own unique character and geographic flavor.
A POCA President should lead by listening, evaluating what works in successful chapters and sharing that information nationally amongst all the chapters.

I've been an automotive enthusiast my whole life and involved motorsports for over 50 years. My mother's family was in the auto parts business as auto parts store owners, parts warehousing, manufacturer's reps and as wholesale jobbers.
When I was young my father owned and operated three full service gas stations.  My childhood allowance earning opportunities were either stacking and stapling auto parts catalog sheets for my grandfather or shoveling used oil absorbent out of a grease pit for my dad.
My father was also an early member of NHRA and campaigned a series of GTO's in what would later become the ProStock class.
My first time in front of a large crowd was at age 6 riding up to the beach box at Thunder Valley in Bristol, VA.  My pit job was  maintaining the cold can by keeping it filled with crushed ice from the concession stand.
My own racing experience included drag racing a 1970 Mustang Mach One ( with a Cleveland of course ) while in high school, and helping others build race cars. In college, I discovered sports cars and campaigned a series of TR-6s in SCCA Solo I & II events, making it into the national divisionals once. I also crewed on a National D Sports Racer and later became a corner worker with National credentials.
After college I went through a long line of Sports cars and raced SCCA
C  Sports Racers, twice winning the S.A.R.R.C. Championship.   Additionally I served on the BOD of the SCCA Buccaneer Region and was partly responsible for our club buying Roebling Road Raceway, thus becoming the only SCCA entity to own a racetrack. I also worked to institute track days and practice days and tripled the track's income in less than one year.
I have founded and sold several businesses and served on many B.O.D. of other organizations over the years, including service on two ifferent Home owner's Association B.O.D. s with terms as President overseeing yearly budgets exceeding 700k.

My first exposure to a Detomaso Pantera was an advertisement in my stepfather's Playboy magazine; I may still be the only kid punished for cutting up a Playboy and not keeping the centerfold. It became my dream car and I went through a long list of cars to finally find one after five years of searching.
1660 and I connected on July 5th, 2005 which is also when I first joined POCA.
My Pantera was one of the first to have its own web page "michaelspantera.com"
where I have shared our adventures, specs and continuing upgrades.

I am very passionate about all things Pantera, to my eye, it remains in the top five automotive designs in history.  I have been sharing my car and Pantera knowledge since its purchase, it has won numerous trophies at cars shows, displayed at a concourse or two, ripped up "The Tail of the Dragon" several times and been driven at pace on many racetracks, it is no trailer queen.

What I offer as a candidate for POCA President is a fresh perspective.  I offer a history of Creative ideas, the ability to guide others  and a willingness to work hard to see good ideas evaluated fairly, the best chosen and successfully carried out from concept to fruition.

So in ending my candidate statement, please consider me as a qualified candidate for as your POCA  President and vote to give me a shot at proving what I can do to help grow our club while providing a better club experience for those already committed.

Thank you,

Michael Shortt