[DeTomaso] FW: Pantera THERMOSTATS??

Michael Shortt michaelsavga at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 18:02:52 EDT 2015

I have spent the last 20 minutes looking at 4 different designs for a 351C
thermostat.

who knew?

Like I said, this one works for me, your situation may be different.

I avoid stop and go traffic whenever I can ( mainly because the beast is
just too much engine for heavy traffic
and I do need the clutch reduction kit )

it cruises at 170-180 and last summer I actually taped a part of the grill
( a la NASCAR )
to keep temps up to 180-190 to see if my gas mileage would be any different
( it's wasn't )

In two weeks I will be driving up to Spartanburg, SC ( 4-5 hours ) to show
at Eurofest at the BMW factory
and I'll report on temps again.

The biggest help for my car was having the radiator ( Hall 5 core brass
laydown ) hot tanked and then using my
cooling mixture ( same as for light aircraft )  33% not 50%.

2.2-2.4 gallons of distilled water ( not city water full of lime, etc. )
1 gallon of 100% Peak antifreeze
1 16 oz bottle of water wetter

and of course burping the car properly after changing the mix.

Michael

michael at michaelshortt.com
912-232-9390

   I have spent the last 20 minutes looking at 4 different designs for a
   351C thermostat.
   who knew?
   Like I said, this one works for me, your situation may be different.
   I avoid stop and go traffic whenever I can ( mainly because the beast
   is just too much engine for heavy traffic
   and I do need the clutch reduction kit )
   it cruises at 170-180 and last summer I actually taped a part of the
   grill ( a la NASCAR )
   to keep temps up to 180-190 to see if my gas mileage would be any
   different ( it's wasn't )
   In two weeks I will be driving up to Spartanburg, SC ( 4-5 hours ) to
   show at Eurofest at the BMW factory
   and I'll report on temps again.
   The biggest help for my car was having the radiator ( Hall 5 core brass
   laydown ) hot tanked and then using my
   cooling mixture ( same as for light aircraft ) A 33% not 50%.
   2.2-2.4 gallons of distilled water ( not city water full of lime, etc.
   )
   1 gallon of 100% Peak antifreeze
   1 16 oz bottle of water wetter
   and of course burping the car properly after changing the mix.
   Michael

   On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Timothy Meyer
   I just saw that it was missing the top hat.

   Thatas cool if it works for you!!

   email sig

   According to your picture, it does not look correct.

   Unless I canat see it, I donat see the aHata

   email sig

   <[32]detomaso at poca.com
   > wrote:
   > Something not yet noted in this threada|.
   >
   > The Robert Shaw 333 series is a Cleveland (with the ahata) a| high
   flow
   > a| thermostat.
   >
   > This is, I believe, the style originally used by Ford.
   >
   > The readily available thermostats at the parts houses are correct for
   > the Cleveland, but they are not the high flow design.
   >
   > That feature is what drives the high interest in the Robert Shaw 333
   > stats, not that they are the only fish in the sea.
   >
   > Just the only OEM style. And no longer made.
   >
   > CA owner Marlin Jack, a skilled machinist, is buying the 330 series
   RS
   > stats (with the same high flow design as the 333 series) to which he
   > installs a machined ahata, thus creating a 333 series stat correct
   for
   > the Cleveland. On eBay.
   >
   > Larry - two parts houses stats - left side high flow, right side, not
   > so much

   > use the links above.

   use the links above.
   use the links above.

   --

   Michael L. Shortt
   Savannah, Georgia
   [40]michael at michaelshortt.com
   [41]912-232-9390
   privileged.A  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
   notified
   communication is strictly prohibited.A  Please reply to the sender that
   you
   have received this message in error, then delete it.A  Thank you

   --

   Michael L. Shortt
   Savannah, Georgia
   [43]michael at michaelshortt.com