[DeTomaso] '74 Taillight Lens

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 14:36:04 EST 2015

In that same vein, I found two wood screws holding my dashboard in the car! I seriously doubt if anyone had been digging around in there before me and we owned the car since 1980. Factory? Did DeTomaso workers also ';use what they had around' in some places?
J DeRyke

   regarding Larry Westonas two sets of tail lights: one with threaded
   machine screws, the other with awooda screws. As in all things Pantera,
   we have come to accept variations in assembly/equipment as indicative
   of factory-created variety. What we tend to forget is these cars are
   FORTY+ years old and until just recently they have not been seen as
   collector-worthy cars. Thus repairs made by all the previous owners
   have not been restricted to aoriginalitya. I have received used lights
   from Europe with numerous aincorrecta lens screws. Even in metric
   Europe, folks often tend towards the aIall use what I have on-handa
   repair approaches. And here in metric-phobia USA, not many garage
   coffee cans have 4mm phillips, filiister head machine screws. The
   observation that the awood screwa lenses do not show signs of
   screw-hole cracks just tells me that set's lenses are newer than the
   other set. I suspect that set was compiled from housings/lenses some
   time after manufacture, perhaps from different sources, and the P.O.
   fell prey to the ause what I havea option for the lens screws. The
   white nylon washers with the awood screwsa are original to Carello,
   however. They often remain attached to used lenses after the screws
   have been removed. Larry - Are all four lenses marked Carello? There
   are reproduction aCarello stylea lenses on the current market - MrFiat
   and Hall sell that version. Also, since Jeff had to reduce the diameter
   of the machine screw heads he found I suspect what he used were in fact
   pan head machine screws. The two styles are closely similar, but the
   fillister style tends to have sharper head edges and sides; some
   fillister head sides are totally flat and parallel to the threaded
   shafts. I still do not believe any Carello lights originally came with
   Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA Posted emails must not exceed 1.5
   Megabytes DeTomaso mailing list [1]DeTomaso at poca.com