[DeTomaso] '74 Taillight Lens

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sat Nov 28 15:16:49 EST 2015

All,

For what it is worth, the lens screws used on our  Carello tail light lenses, and the Altissimo versions, are properly called:

phillips fillister head machine screws

They are not very common at all. Less so in metric. I’m sure they are out there, but for years I’ve provided socket head cap screws which fit very nicely and resist stripping like phillips heads often do.

John, I do not doubt your mechanical skills in the slightest. I suspect when you wrote “tap is not welcomed” you had found more than expected resistance, and being brass threads cast/embedded in plastic, you feared breakage of the plastic.

I’ve re-tapped Carello and Altissimo threaded inserts many times. Make sure you have re-drilled the buggered hole with the proper size drill bit, and cutting oil is a must in the brass threads.

Good luck.

Larry