[DeTomaso] '74 Taillight Lens

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sat Nov 28 14:17:27 EST 2015

Presently, I am restoring a '74 Pantera.  Upon separation of the rear
taillight lens from their Carello buckets, I noticed that the lenses
were held to the bucket by a screw with "wood" style threads.  I assumed
a PO, or their mechanic, had swapped from the proper 4mm x .70 bolt in
an act of laziness.  However, when I inspect the threaded hole in the
bucket carefully, it does not appear to have ever been threaded for the
4mm.  I attempted to chase on of the bucket holes with a proper tap and
the tap was not welcomed so I didn't push it.

My '73 Carellos are machine threaded.  Any insights as to whether the
factory made a thread change or are my Carello buckets buggered beyond
recognition.  Fortunately, not beyond help.

Thanks
JT