[DeTomaso] Tool Chests at Home Depot vs Harbor Freight

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 27 21:56:13 EST 2015

 I visited both Home Depot and Harbor Freight today.  I was a little disappointed with the DeWalt tool chest at Home Depot.  For example, the width (they call length) in the specs appears to include handles, which I guess is a good number if you need to fit within limited space, but not as good if you are looking at storage capacity.  Also, I'm not quite sure the 8 drawers in the top cabinet are tall enough for general use, probably fine for end wrenches if you have that many.
I was very impressed by the US General tool chests at Harbor Freight.  I am not a Harbor Freight fan and would not buy a saw blade etc. from them, but these chests look really good, specifically the industrial roller cabinets.  They look very sturdy, and the drawers look useable, but I still need to think about that.  The drawers felt better than the Dewalt.  The casters also looked really good, which is a beg deal if you will have to roll it around at all.  The 56 inch base weighs 440 pounds and the top weighs 260.  They are not cheap, maybe twice what a cheap chest is, but maybe 1/3 or less what a high end tool chest costs.  The 56 inch chest and top cabinet are about $1,100 + tax it you get the right coupons.  They also have a 44 in (usually $379 but $349 for black Friday), and a 72 inch (usually $1,200 but there was a $1,000 coupon recently.  Harbor Freight sells an end cabinet that adds 17 inches for about $200, so it can always be added to the 56 inch chest.  I can't imagine needing anything better for use in a home garage.  Review also are really positive for these tool chests.
Ken