[DeTomaso] Magnaflow Exhaust for Pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Nov 26 16:05:12 EST 2015

In a message dated 11/26/15 9:47:52 AM, dnunn at telus.net writes:

> Some long-time Pantera owners may recall Borla built a Pantera system
> (headers and mufflers) about 20 years ago. The Pantera they brought in to
> build the prototype system on, had a Hall Big Bore system on it. Borla
> said
> it was the worst "production" exhaust system they had ever seen on any car
> of any type!
>
>>>Yes, that's pretty crude.   The headers are actually very effective,
surprisingly so considering their small collector (as verified by Dan Jones
dyno testing).   The Hall mufflers, I'm not a fan of at all though.   They are
completely lacking in style or character.

> > They insisted on basing their system on one of their
> off-the-shelf muffler cans. They felt making custom cans would push the
> price too high. If I recall, the system retailed for around $1,500. The
> system looked OK, even though the muffler can was too long, and sounded
> great but Borla discontinued it after one production run.
>
>>>I was excited when I learned Borla was going to make a system, and was
VERY disappointed when I first saw it.   I was at Palm Springs for the
vintage races there, hosted by San Diego Panteras (many many moons ago) and saw
the first car so-equipped.   I seem to remember it was a silver car.   Not
only were the mufflers too long (a sin that is partially concealed with an
L-model bumper but unforgiveable on a Pre-L), they were LOUD!   And I mean, it
sounded louder than some Panteras I've heard with straight pipes/no mufflers
at all.   I don't know how Borla managed that trick.

I also thought that the tone was harsh and tinny, something often found
with stainless steel mufflers (the mufflers that PI sells are even worse in
this regard, and as they are (apparently) cheap Chinese-made things, they blow
out and become ineffective in short order).

> >Since it was made
> from stainless steel, the price was still too high for most Pantera owners
> and just about every one they sold had fitment issues. It seems Borla
> didn't
> anticipate the variations from car to car. They naively thought if it fit
> one Pantera, it would fit all Panteras.
>
>>>The only 'variation' one would likely encounter would be the
bumper--either it has an L-model bumper, or it doesn't.   But dimensionally, they are
otherwise all the same.   If they experienced fitment issues, then the
problem was that the system they made didn't fit *any* Pantera very well.

> >They also didn't anticipate all the
> "whining" about the price, so they scrapped the whole project after about
> six months.
>
>>>Which, under the circumstances, is just as well.

At about the same time, Pantera East was producing a really excellent
stainless steel copy of the factory GTS system, for about the same price.   It
was leagues apart from the Borla offering, in terms of quality, authenticity,
fit and fitment etc.   It was also about the same volume as the original
ANSA GTS system, perhaps even a bit quieter.   Rick Moseley and I were the
beta-testers for the prototype version, which we installed on Rick's car.
Unfortunately, it proved impossible to build it at a reasonable price, as they
were being hand-made in a guy's backyard in southern California by an
old-school craftsman, one at a time.   I think only 3-4 sets were made before the
whole project fell apart, as the cost rocketed well north of $2000 once he
figured out exactly how long it took to create each one.

Kudos to Wilkinson for finally tooling up to mass-produce a relatively
affordable, very effective, good-looking and good-sounding system a couple of
years ago.   Yes, some corners were cut on the mild steel versions (the
headers look beautiful but the paint burns off and they look like crap after only
30 minutes, and they need to be given an aftermarket ceramic coating), but
the fit and fitment is excellent, and the sound is just terrific.   Because
they are mass-produced (I suspect, but don't know, that they are a Far East
product as well), the price is much, much less than a new ANSA GTS system,
and performance is leagues better as well.

I have only heard the mild steel version and am naturally skeptical of the
stainless version, but Steve assured me that it uses a different variety of
stainless steel, much thicker than the cheap tinny stuff that's routinely
found in exhaust systems, and thus doesn't have the undesirable tonal
qualities one normally associates with stainless.   I'll leave it for others to
judge that until I hear it for myself....

Which brings us back to this Magnaflow system.   Has anybody ever seen
Foose's car in person and heard it run?