[DeTomaso] Cylinder Heads leaking

sean mundy seanmundy at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 20 22:42:43 EST 2015

Only tried 7 and 8 cyl so far.  Been running back and forth from the garage to the pc to ask questions!!  I have a compression tester but haven't hooked it up yet.  Going to be a busy weekend of fun in the garage.
This is a newer 408c motor with low miles on it.  It always burned a little oil.  I was led to believe the rings were not seated yet and it was normal with new motor.  Then after break in and several thousand miles I was still burning oil, a lot more.  Again I took it to a shop that told me I was probably running too rich and washing the cylinders down.  I installed a A/F meter and tuned my carb to run on the lean side with cruise at 14 to 15 and drop to 11 to 12 at full throttle.   I replaced the intake gaskets 3 times looking for the answer to oil burning from the intake.  I then took the heads off and checked everything and it all looked good after I chipped and scraped all the carbon off the valves.  I pooled gas onto the underside of the cylinder heads and didn't see anything leaking from the valves at that time.  New gaskets and put it back together last winter.  I drove it a lot this summer but it was burning oil so I parked it.  Very frustrating but I really appreciate all the help from the forum.