[DeTomaso] Cylinder Heads leaking

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Nov 20 19:12:19 EST 2015

Sean,

This is a VERY common problem. Your intake manifold gasket has failed and is leaking on the bottom edge, allowing oil to be sucked from the valley under the intake into one or more cylinders.

Many people have made the mistake of using Fel-Pro 'Print-o-seal' intake gaskets. These things are notorious for failing; so much so that you can find numerous references to them on Internet forums for all sorts of cars, where they are commonly called 'Print-o-leak' gaskets!

I happen to favor the stock-style valley pan gasket, Fel pro MS96012. If you follow the installation instructions to the letter, these seal fine with the added advantage of cooling the underside of the intake by shielding it from oil splash.

There is a story with photos about this chronic problem in a recent PCNC newsletter; you can read it by accessing the website at www.panteraclubnorcal.com

I've helped repair two local cars with this problem in the past few months and know of a third that is awaiting repair....

Mike

Sent from my iPhone