[DeTomaso] Is there a grommet for antenna?

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Nov 20 14:24:59 EST 2015

No. Radios were dealer-installed in the U,S. Only in Europe were factory radios installed. A few were in the rear fender and most in the right-front. Electric retracting antennas were not invented in the early 70s. One thing to keep in mind when you adjust your antenna is whether it scrapes the side of the fender hole. If the scraping takes off the paint even partway around, the antenna can short to ground and you get no reception. A metal grommet would do the same thing. The final touch is to electrically balance your antenna to the radio. There's a screw in the radio that does this.

I am at a point to decide If I want to remove the power antenna and
   fill it's fender hole on my '71.A  The antenna is slightly offset in
   the hole and it has an uneven gap to one side. The antenna does have a
   top, it just does not fill the hole. It would not take much to center
   it if I keep it. Was there a grommet or trim piece on the fenderA  was
   the hole just a hole?A  It kind of looks like I may be missing a
   finishing piece.

   use the links above.