[DeTomaso] transaxle

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 19:36:00 EST 2015

I agree with Jack and I've safety wired two ZF's now.  The ZF will need to
come out of the car to pull the lower cover.

Ken's comments on shims is at the lower cover but Lloyd told me the shims
are just that- shims for fit-up.  Don't get too upset if they don't fit-
just make sure the front and back ones stay with the respective front and
back.  There are no washers under the original ring gear bolts.  Dennis
Quella and Lloyd can supply the correct ARP bolts and some safety wire.

Personally, I think it's something different than ring gear bolts if you're
in neutral and it makes noise.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso <detomaso at poca.com
> wrote:

>    Sometimes,  broken bolt-heads will stick to the drain plug magnet or
>    come out while draining the ZF- which slould be done yearly! Note you
>    run the risk of destroying your ZF if one of the broken bolt heads gets
>    caught in the ring & pinion mesh. At the very least, the bottom cover
>    will be cracked as the bolthead squirts out at high velocity. At the
>    worst, the whole case will open up like a walnut.... In a recent
>    Newsletter, there were photos of an owner who found EIGHT broken bolts
>    (out of ten total). This has been a well known problem since the
>    Pantera was still being built. Mangustas were factory safety wired but
>    very, very few Panteras.
>
>    The two 11-1/2" long cross-bolts through the bearing side-plates and
>    the lower cover keep one from removing the lower cover while the ZF is
>    mounted in the car. And even if it was somehow removed, removing
>    sheared ring gear bolts with no heads and properly torquing new US-made
>    bolts in place, then safety wiring them all the while on your back
>    under the car, is not an easy task. Remove the ZF and do this on the
>    bench.

   I agree with Jack and I've safety wired two ZF's now.A  The ZF will
   need to come out of the carA to pull the lower cover.
   Ken's comments on shims is at the lower cover but Lloyd told me the
   shims are just that- shims for fit-up.A  Don't get too upset if they
   don't fit- just make sure the front and back ones stay with the
   respective front and back.A  There are no washers under the original
   ring gearA bolts.A  Dennis Quella and Lloyd can supply the correct ARP
   bolts and some safety wire.A