[DeTomaso] POCA

marshall smith marshallgsmith at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 4 13:19:30 EST 2015

Hey Jeff....

          Rather than grilling you for holding office while not being a member of POCA or questioning you about how much POCA should have in cash reserves, let me be the first member to THANK YOU for disclosing the dysfunction that exists on this board. None of us can bury our heads in the sand and ignore the secrecy that continues to be the norm with this board. From board meetings that according to our Bylaws should be open to all members but never have, to having well over a hundred thousand dollars in cash reserves but receiving NO accounting for those funds, the malfeasance continues along with dozens of violations of those bylaws. From the loss of over 100 members last year (approximately 10% of the POCA membership) to the rude and callous treatment of many of its members to election discrepancies, this board seems to have totally lost control of realizing they serve at the pleasure of us, the membership and NOT themselves.

          Now I know there are a group of members that would rather talk about Pantera dimensions or wiper blades or tire sizes for hours on end but you truly should also take part in questioning your board of directors and making sure their feet are held to the fire when it comes to unethical behavior and issues of finances. There has been POCA monies misappropriated in the past and continued apathy on this subject could lead to similar antics. The POCA bylaws state that the membership is to receive a yearly  accounting of "our" monies but that accounting in the March 2015 newsletter did not contain any description of the over a hundred thousand dollars that Jeff speaks of and I disclosed earlier this year.

          Jeff, I do wish you had disclosed more of the injustices that have occured with this board at an earlier date but I have talked to enough current and past board members who seem to just run out of gas and give up before asking the membership to help correct these injustices by putting pressure on this board. Many good board members have gone the route that you now have, throwing up their hands and giving up. I will commend you though for airing your frustrations on this Forum and giving us a chance to be aware of the mess that we have at the top and do something about it with our current election. I want to thank you for your 'attempted' service to us, the members. We have now lost another one of the good guys.

Marshall Smith
President, San Diego Panteras