[DeTomaso] problems with engine shutting down

Jerry Knotts knottsj at galstar.com
Fri May 29 19:44:31 EDT 2015

There is an old tractor trick for a partially plugged carb jets and idle
circuit.  You remove the air cleaner, start the motor and let it run
until it gets to the warm stage.  With the air cleaner removed,  rev the
engine to near the red line.  Next stuff a big Turkish sized towel down
the throat of the carb while letting the accelerator linkage drop to
idle.  Let the engine die. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries.  If the
carb has a small amount of junk in the jets or the idle circuit, the
vacum of the engine will suck it out of the circuit.

YMMV,
Works sometimes,
jerry knotts

On 5/29/2015 5:42 PM, James coyne wrote:
>     Semi-clogged fuel filter ?
>     From: cwhamm at frontier.com
>     To: detomaso at poca.com
>     Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 15:23:10 -0700
>     Subject: [DeTomaso] problems with engine shutting down
> Thanks for all the input. I was headed up to Napa to buy an ignition coil
> and though I would do a test of all of what is going on. Started up fine.
> Choke was on. About 1500rpm. Backed out. Let it run for about a minute.
> Tapped on the throttle and choke went off and we are off. 60 degrees F
> outside. No problems until it gets nice and warm. Put it in neutral and was
> coasting down a hill with no braking and in about 10 seconds it dies. Stop
> and it starts perfect. It will run good for about 20 seconds and it starts
> to die if I feather the gas I can keep it running. Clear it and we are fine.
> If I let it die it starts up fine. Here is what might tell you guys what is
> wrong. If I drive in first at 3k steady it bucks some and once in a while it
> will pop. Between 30 and 40 in 2nd and 3rd it bucks some.  It will
> accelerate fine. Runs fine at high speed. Any time now at an idle eventually
> it will die after it is warmed up.
>
> Clarke Hamm 7350

>     above.

   There is an old tractor trick for a partially plugged carb jets and
   idle circuit.  You remove the air cleaner, start the motor and let it
   run until it gets to the warm stage.  With the air cleaner removed,
   rev the engine to near the red line.  Next stuff a big Turkish sized
   towel down the throat of the carb while letting the accelerator linkage
   drop to idle.  Let the engine die. Sometimes it takes a couple of
   tries.  If the carb has a small amount of junk in the jets or the idle
   circuit, the vacum of the engine will suck it out of the circuit.
   YMMV,
   Works sometimes,
   jerry knotts
Thanks for all the input. I was headed up to Napa to buy an ignition coil
and though I would do a test of all of what is going on. Started up fine.
Choke was on. About 1500rpm. Backed out. Let it run for about a minute.
Tapped on the throttle and choke went off and we are off. 60 degrees F
outside. No problems until it gets nice and warm. Put it in neutral and was
coasting down a hill with no braking and in about 10 seconds it dies. Stop
and it starts perfect. It will run good for about 20 seconds and it starts
to die if I feather the gas I can keep it running. Clear it and we are fine.
If I let it die it starts up fine. Here is what might tell you guys what is
wrong. If I drive in first at 3k steady it bucks some and once in a while it
will pop. Between 30 and 40 in 2nd and 3rd it bucks some.  It will
accelerate fine. Runs fine at high speed. Any time now at an idle eventually
it will die after it is warmed up.

Clarke Hamm 7350

   by POCA Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes DeTomaso mailing
   list [3]DeTomaso at poca.com
   subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the links
   above.

nks above.