[DeTomaso] Tjaarda Interview Where He Tells Story Of Being Fired By    DeTomaso

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri May 22 21:21:08 EDT 2015

In a message dated 5/22/15 12 28 26, audionut at hushmail.com writes:

> Thanks Vinh--
> Interesting how he mentions the front end lift at high speed in the
> early car.  The implication there is that nothing was done to remedy
> this. Got me wondering.....anybody ever had a drag boat-style wipeout
> in a Pantera? Sure, the front end lifts a bit, but as long as we're
> tracking a straight line we should be okay right? I've only hit 130 in
> my non-spoiler'd L car and the front end lift didn't scare me too bad.
> But now that I've pulled off my mangled L bumper the front end is even
> lighter....
>
>>>Well, the car won't flip over if that's what you mean.   But front-end
lift is a real thing, at triple-digit speeds.   It's very easy to manage
through a combination of slight downward rake, and a front spoiler.   While an
air dam is obviously effective, even the small GTS spoiler is remarkably
effective.   I've taken my car to about 140-145 mph without any noticeable lift.

Art Stephens, who by his own admission was a bit unhinged, used to love
driving his Pantera in the desert at high speed.   He had no spoiler, and at
160-170 mph the front end became very light.   Rather than being appropriately
concerned, he found it amusing that the steering had virtually no effect.
One sad day, he crossed a blind brow at that speed, a gust of wind got
under the car and lifted it sideways so the right wheels got onto the dirt
shoulder.  It then went sideways, flipped and rolled and banged forever through
the desert, leaving the car a crumpled mess.   It's a miracle he survived,
but thankfully somebody found the wreckage, he got a helicopter ride and
walked out of the hospital a few days later.

He subsequently bought another Pantera, but I don't think he goes zorching
around in the desert like he used to anymore...at least I hopen not!